VMware Communities
TheDarkCube
Contributor
Contributor

Help with possible Virus

Hi guys

I'm using VMWare Fusion 3 with Windows XP Home Edition. Today I did a virus scan on my mac in snow leopard using avast for mac. It says that these files are infected by a trojan Win32:Hupigon-ONX in Windows XP Home Edition.vmwarevm:

Windows XP Home Edition-000002-s001.vmdk

Windows XP Home Edition-000002-s002.vmdk

Windows XP Home Edition-000002-s006.vmdk

Windows XP Home Edition-000003-s001.vmdk

Windows XP Home Edition-000003-s002.vmdk

Windows XP Home Edition-000003-s005.vmdk

Windows XP Home Edition-000003-s006.vmdk

Windows XP Home Edition-s001.vmdk

Windows XP Home Edition-s002.vmdk

Windows XP Home Edition-s005.vmdk

Windows XP Home Edition-s006.vmdk

However when I do a virus scan in this Windows VM using AVG and Avast they both say my system is clean and safe. I don't know if avast for mac is correct or wrong and wonder what I should do, ignore it or something else? I asked you guys first as I think you guys might be the best option to this!

Thank You.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

This smells to me like a false positive on the Mac side - but you need vendor confirmation to be sure. I wouldn't totally ignore it - I'd be contacting Avast for their recommendation and perhaps even submit one of the flagged vmdk files.

Since you're running AV in the VMs, you may wish to exclude vmdk files from AV scans on the Mac side. A quick Google search indicates several instances of false positives with some AV (both Mac and Windows) software when scanning vmdk files - even to the point of rendering them unusable.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
TheDarkCube
Contributor
Contributor

Thank You for your quick response. I'll contact Avast and see what they say.

UPDATE: Ok I have been in contact with Avast and they say its a false positive. Thanks for the help guys. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos