VMware Communities
383_ptoof
Contributor
Contributor

Help with copying files off VM XP Guest

Hey All,

My machine account became corupt on the network and I am unable to authenticate and login to the VM XP Guest. The desktop team here does not know the local admin password since the person that audited the PC to match enterprise policy is no longer here.

Is there a way I can see the C Drive through using a tool that can display the contents of the guest OS's Drive without logging into it?

I'm stuck, Please help

thank you!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

If you have MacFUSE installed you can shutdown your virtual machine, locate the virtual machine bundle (e.g. virtual machine library, right-click to get the context menu for "Show in Finder"), click on the vm bundle icon (right-click again to show "Show package contents"), in the resulting window locate the virtual disk .vmdk file, double-click that (or right-click to choose Open With > VMDKMounter), and your guest VM's disk will mount on your OS X desktop. Copy any files you want to off it.

0 Kudos
383_ptoof
Contributor
Contributor

That sounds like a great plan! thanks!

I just wish there was a way to change the local admin password as well! I need to brush up more on this stuff.

thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

There is... officially you're supposed to know to create an Emergency Recovery Disk (ERD) for your installation. This can be a virtual floppy with the information to recovery from a lost Administrator password. In practice, this rarely happens, until after you need it. Smiley Happy

In the latter case, many users have success with Petter Nordahl-Hagen's Offline NT Password & Registry Editor

0 Kudos
383_ptoof
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks! I created a backdoor for my personal VM PC, but the one at work was audited and re-worked. believe me i never wanted to be in this position and here I am. This community is so helpful, I've rarely had to post since all my questions were answered by searching, but this one was a doozey lol

you guys are great and I do appreciate the feedback and support! :smileycool:

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

There is... officially you're supposed to know to create an Emergency Recovery Disk (ERD) for your installation. This can be a virtual floppy with the information to recovery from a lost Administrator password. In practice, this rarely happens, until after you need it. Smiley Happy

An ERD (Emergency Repair Disk) was used in Windows NT and Windows 2000 and in Windows XP ERD has been replaced by ASD (Automated System Recovery) however you probably meant to talk about creating a Password Reset Disk. Start > Help and Support > type Password Reset Disk and press Enter > click Create a password reset disk in case you forgot your password

0 Kudos