VMware Communities
moiz_kader
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Help with Vmware Fusion & SBS 2011 Essentials; best practices

Hello all,

Looking for a little help setting up a virtual machine on a Mac Pro to use as a server in a small business.

We currently have an office of 6 users all but one of which are windows users (XP and 7, though all soon to be upgraded to 7). We also have a server running SBS 2003 and until recently were using it for file storage, a database backend, exchange and vpn. The hardware on the server has become very noisy to the point of it annoying other users in the room so I am looking at upgrade options.

The machine that I currently use is a 2 x 2.66GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon with 10Gb RAM and I am looking to shift this over to use as the server as I am going to be swapping for a 17" MBP. I have successfully installed a trial version of SBS 2011 Essentials on it and have successfully installed the database backend and used it from a client machine so I am happy that everything will work. We have shifted out email from Exchange over to Gmail which is why Essentials is good enough for me.

What I am now stuck with is how to set up the machine to integrate it correctly. I have a 250Gb bootdisk currently installed with Snow Leopard and have ordered 2 x 1.5Tb hard drives which I had planned mirror in OS X using Disk Utility. The plan was to partition part of the 250Gb boot drive (say 100Gb) to use as a separate partiton on which to store the VMs. The 1.5Tb drives were to be kept separate and used as a data drive.

What I am not sure about now is how does this all work with SBS 2011? Do I go ahead as planned and share the drives through OS X (either SL or Lion server) as a network share? If yes, how does this play with the windows clients? Can I use AD control logins or will I end up with a mix of OD and AD (which would be a hassle)

Or do I install SBS 2011 on the 1.5TB drives, devote the entire drive to SBS 2011 and deal with the sharing there?

Actually doing these things is not a problem, it's just trying to figure out what is the best solution for day to day running and for backup.

Many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Give the points to Woody, by all means!  Sorry that SBS is not my area, but if you want to look into using scripts to control your VM, you might find these URLs useful:

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-1201

and

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vix162_vmrun_command.pdf

Of course, you could also turn on Mac Accessibility (System Preferences > Universal Access > Enable access for assistive devices  and use AppleScript or other Mac automation technologies, such as ATOMac (https://github.com/pyatom/pyatom).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Don't have time for the long answer however my short answer is...

If I had more then one physical hard disk in a system then I would not store my virtual machines on the system volume.

If I was replacing a physical server with a virtual server then its network would be configured as bridged and I would do then just as if it was a physical machine when it come to configuring it and allowing user access and the users wouldn't be unaware that it's virtual and hosted on a physical machine.

As far as backups go I'd use no less then all industry standard methodologies from within the virtual machine as well has keeping the virtual machine backed up on a regular basis so as to have no less then two avenues of restore if/when necessary.

0 Kudos
moiz_kader
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Many thaks WoodyZ for your reply, however I think I may not have posed my question correctly as I didn't quite get a complete answer.

Taking into account one point you have made I will re-ask the question slightly:

Which of these two options will work better and easier bearing in mind I wish to use AD to control access to shares etc.

1) 1.5Tb mirrored drives with one single partition for the VM that can be allowed to expand to fill the entire drive. Share will be created within SBS 2011 and backup done within 2011 and OS X.

2) Create a partition on the 1.5Tb of say 200Gb for the virtual machines. Use the remainder of the drive from OS X to create shares and use AD and login scripts to control shares. Backups all done from OS X.

Thanks again everyone for your time.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Many thaks WoodyZ for your reply, however I think I may not have posed my question correctly as I didn't quite get a complete answer.

I guess you missed the part where I said "Don't have time for the long answer...". Smiley Wink  So I expected what I said to not completely address your queries. Smiley Happy

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Woody didn't give a step by step guide, but, assuming you know how to set up SBS 2011 and AD, probably something better, some really sound advice:

> If I had more then one physical hard disk in a system then I would not store my virtual machines on the system volume.

This is the biggest key to performance, I don't know how much peformance and reliability you need, but moving your VM(s) off of the HD which your Mac OS X uses will avoid disk contention.  If you have the budget, consider SSD card(s) for better performance, perhaps even only for the Mac OS.

Your Mac Pro holds 4 drives (easily, more if you do unconventional things). Drives are cheap and if you don't have many VMs you can even run a separate VM on each drive. Of course, you can run many VMs on the same HD, and on the same HD as your Mac OS, but you can't fool mother nature and unless it's an SSD, you'll have disk contention before you peg your CPU.

If you are using spinning disks, remember that a partition is not the same thing as a disk. Running 2 VMs (or a VM and Mac OS) in 2 partitions on a single 5400 RPM disk is not going to help over running them on the same disk in one partition. Splitting them onto different disks (hopefully faster?) would help.  Larger disks with less on them, at the same RPM can do well, too.

If you take care of disk contention issues, adding RAM may help.  Once you are up and running can use Activity Monitor to see how much you have free and add more RAM, if needed.

> If  I was replacing a physical server with a virtual server then its  network would be configured as bridged and I would do then just as if it  was a physical machine when it come to configuring it and allowing user  access and the users wouldn't be unaware that it's virtual and hosted  on a physical machine.

Yes, by all means, set this up as if each VM were a real, separate machine, test, and proceed. Virtualization should allow you to treat these issues as if you were dealing with physical hardware, down to using disks, how much RAM to give the VM, etc.

> As  far as backups go I'd use no less then all industry standard  methodologies from within the virtual machine as well has keeping the  virtual machine backed up on a regular basis so as to have no less then  two avenues of restore if/when necessary.

Absolutely!  Disk mirroring not really 'back up'.  What if you have a lighting strike and toast the whole machine? A flood? Theft? A write error?  For some scenarios it is enough, but if you are betting your business on this, use back up, just as if you had everything running on real machines.

If you can't swing the budget, consider, at least, periodically copying all VMs (which should be encapsulating everything) a HD, removing it, and storing it in a safe location.  I'm sure that would not cover many situations, and will probably raise howls of pain from IT staff on the forum, but it would be better than mirroring alone (unless is make you complacent, of course!).

It sounds like you can do it, remember to test and experiment with your setup.

0 Kudos
moiz_kader
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WoodyZ,

I saw that, just thought I'd take a chance anyhow Smiley Wink but many thanks for taking what little time you did have to post an answer.

Ikerr,

Thanks you very much, you have made things vastly clearer for me. I have to hand an 80Gb Hd too and will probably now move the VM onto this machine. One further thing to clear up on this matter, and this may seem very much a basic point, but it is the location of the Virtual Machine directory which contains the .vmwarevm file that is critical, correct?

I think the part I am still struggling with is setting up AD and the shares. I am aware that the reason I am probably not getting an answer to it is because it isn't really a VM issues, it's an SBS 2011 issue. However, I will throw the question at you once more, again, slightly amended:

1) 80Gb HD with SBS 2011 VM. 1.5Tb hard drives mirrored for data shared via OS X. Both backed up using, say, Time Machine onto an external drive.

2) 1.5Tb HD mirrored with a single partition for SBS 2011 and ALL data shares, shared via SBS 2011. Back up to an external drive using SBS integrated backup system. Snapshots backed up also. (eek, lots of drives to remember to take offsite!)

Thanks.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have my Virtual Machines stored in the Virtual Machines folder in the root of the volume however you can create any hierarchal folder structure you what providing the fully qualified pathname is not longer then allowed.

Also it is a know fact that Time Machine is not 100% reliable backing up/restoring Virtual Machines under all circumstances.  Also backing up Virtual Machines via Time Machine is disk/time intensive and wastes a tremendous amount of space for something that may be corrupt and worthless come time to restore it.

I would exclude Virtual Machines from Time Machine and use a script that does a controlled shutdown of the Virtual Machine and VMware Fusion and then make a copy of the target Virtual Machine Package and then start it back up and this would be scheduled to do this in the middle of the night when the Server would not normally be in use.

moiz_kader
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WoodyZ,

Thanks for the reply, I will look at alternatives to time machine for backing up. That does bring up another question though about fusion. Can fusion run so that it automatically boots the virtual machine. I have noticed that when I bring up a VM it does require "starting" (it's late and I'm running out of technical terms!). Can a script ensure that the server does boot to a start?

Btw, is there a way for me to split the answer points between the two of you?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Give the points to Woody, by all means!  Sorry that SBS is not my area, but if you want to look into using scripts to control your VM, you might find these URLs useful:

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-1201

and

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vix162_vmrun_command.pdf

Of course, you could also turn on Mac Accessibility (System Preferences > Universal Access > Enable access for assistive devices  and use AppleScript or other Mac automation technologies, such as ATOMac (https://github.com/pyatom/pyatom).

0 Kudos