VMware Communities
sinister69
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Help please in moving from Fusion 3 to Fusion 6 - can't afford to mess it up!!

Hi all

Could I please ask for some help from you guys?

I have three macs all running 10.6.8, all of which have a boot camp partition running XP pro 32bit, and Fusion 3. This works flawlessly, allowing us to switch from our CC apps straight into our XP based workflow software on the fly without booting. Magic! The XP partitions are absolutely vital to our everyday operation, and contain software I wouldn't be able to re-install let alone reconfigure!

Now along comes Adobe, and all the latest CC apps require 10.7 or later. Swell. So I get Mavericks and install it on just one of the three macs, and I can no longer use Fusion 3. OK, so I download the trial of 6 and install that to make sure it all works before doing anything on all three. Unfortunately, this removed my Fusion 3 software so I can't go back....gulp!

Fusion 6 refuses to work now,  and comes up with an error bsod with incompatible boot volume - omg, nooooooo!

So after a coffee and calming down, I tried a different and tack. I made a copy of one of the other macs VM, and then placed it on an external and tried to use File, Open to see if it would read my existing VM. Nope! It did recognise it, as it askedbthat query about did I move it or copy it, but when trying to start the VM, it errored immediately. Help!

What I was thinking was whether I need to go to a version between 3 and 6 perhaps? I have Fusion 4 but never installed it (no need to). Should I install 4? Would that be better for 6 to import?

I really need some experienced help here guys, I can't afford to mess this up on the other two machines! I just need it to work under 6!

Many thanks for any assistance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If the file is 280 GB then there's a reasonable risk it is fragmented and that could indeed cause slow downs.

If you have enough free disk space (a little under 300GB) then the steps to change into a split disk are:

- shut down the VM

- go to "Settings"

- select the Virtual Hard disk

- Advanced Options

- put a checkbox next to "Split into multiple files"

That will make your disk being based on files 2GB in size (yes that's 140 files for your current size, quite a bit, but it doesn't impact performance)

There's a number of advantages, but the biggest is that you only need a bit over 2GB in size if you use snapshots or try to shrink your disk. Shrinking in this case is just not writing out the parts not used on your disk not actually shrinking the guest disk size. So your guest OS can still use a full 280GB if it needs it, but if it is only using 24GB then only 24GB is used at OSX side.

It is possible to shrink the guest OS disk size as well, but that's more advanced and needs additional software for cloning the disk.

hope this helps,

--

Wil

re. Netherlands, nope I'm in the south while Groningen is in the North.

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
30 Replies
sinister69
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Post weekend good morning Bump!

Can anyone help me please? I really need some help here from someone cleverer than me! Many thanks

0 Kudos
sysjno
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You might want to start with exactly what error you're getting when you try to open the VM on the external disk.  You have a lot going on... Mac OS version, disk partitioning, Fusion version, etc.  I would also suggest getting another Mac with a clean install of Mavericks (OS X does a TERRIBLE job of updating and leaves a lot of crap behind while resetting configs), install Fusion 6, and try to open your VM that way, too, to see if this is some kind of issue with the update.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi sinister69

AFAIK Fusion 3 doesn't work on Maverick's, Fusion 6 OTOH should be fine.

sinister69 wrote:

Fusion 6 refuses to work now,  and comes up with an error bsod with incompatible boot volume - omg, nooooooo!

The BSOD is a error 7B? or is it a different one?

Without messing up any of your other mac's lets stick to troubleshooting your troubled setup.

1. As you just installed Fusion 6, first thing is to verify it actually runs. For that just download a linux live CD and try to run it as a virtual machine. If it does then at least you know that Fusion 6 was installed correctly.

Eg. Download the following iso: http://releases.ubuntu.com/12.04/ubuntu-12.04.4-desktop-amd64.iso

and run it as a new Linux VM install from CD. (Steps: File New -> Install from Disk or image -> Use another disk or image -> select iso file -> Open -> Continue -> Finish -> Run)

2. Can you actually still run the bootcamp machine without VMware (eg. can you reboot your Mac into the windows machine using only bootcamp?)

When all that works:

3. Reload the bootcamp setup -> File New -> More Options -> Install from bootcamp -> Create a bootcamp virtual machine. This will ask for your Mac password and take a few minutes to process. Then it asks if you want have to type a password to startup your bootcamp VM (select your preference)

After this step it has created another entry in your library for the bootcamp machine and will try to boot.

If that still doesn't work then it would help if you attached the vmware.log files as an attachement to your reply here. (Use browse button in advanced editor (top link right) to attach the files)

hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
sinister69
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi sysjno - thanks for the reply. I am currently in the middle of doing exactly this, will report back once I have finished and tried it. Again, thanks for the suggestion. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
sinister69
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi wila - many thanks for the reply. I am currently doing a completely fresh Mavericks install on a spare machine to test if it was the OSX upgrading direct on top of my 10.6.8 that caused a problem. Once done, if it makes no difference, I will certainly action your suggested steps. Thanks again for replying Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
sinister69
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi sysjno

I have just finished installing a completely clean Mavericks onto a wiped drive, and have installed Fusion 6. When I try to open the duplicate copy of my working vm file, it does recognise it and asks if I copied it or Moved it, but whichever option I choose I immediately get an error that comes up as per the attached?

Hope you can shed some more light!

Many thanks

vm error.png

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hey Sinister69

If you just copied your bootcamp VM then it probably is a very small file.

The reason is that the vmdk you are looking at contains pointers to the real machine located on the bootcamp partition.

If you import your bootcamp partition in Fusion 3 (I think it was called that way in Fusion 3 as well, select VM, right click -> import) then Fusion makes a clone of the bootcamp partition to a real VM that you can copy and move to another host.

Without importing the VM you don't have a standalone VM and the files are bound to the machine that has the actual bootcamp OS installed.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
sinister69
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey wila, thanks for your further reply.

So if I understand you correctly, you are saying that because my perfectly working VM on Mac a was setup on a boot camp partition, and when I copied it manually from the VM folder, it contains info about its location, which is why when I try to import it, it fails as there is no boot camp partition on Mac b, and it is still tied to Mac a location - right?? :smileysilly:

If I do as you suggest, can you confirm that it will in no way damage the perfectly working VM on Mac a? I will be right in it if Mac a stops working!! :smileycry:

Many thanks again

S

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes you understand correctly.

It's been a while since I used Fusion 3 and bootcamp, but yes no worries on loosing the bootcamp partition.

It basically runs a disk copy from your partition so that the VM becomes portable, it does not delete your bootcamp partition.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
sinister69
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi wila

The copy of bootcamp from mac a file I copied over was 152mb in size, (so I think that must have been a complete clone do you think?), but when I go to mac b with the clean install and go File > Import, the copy of bootcamp of mac a I have placed on the external hd is greyed out so I can't select it.

Do you want me to go back to mac a and somehow export it again - I can't see any option to Export, only the usual File > New or Open or Migrate your PC etc?

Sorry if I am misunderstanding your instructions!

Many thanks

S

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You did the copy correct.

Now your VM is a normal VM and you can do a File -> Open on Mac b instead of import.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
sinister69
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wila

Hmm, that's what I have tried and I get the error I posted the screenshot of above. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Strange, not sure now why you would get that and without additional information I am running out of ideas.

Can you attach the vmware.log files from that VM? (right click the VM, select "Show package contents", then attach the vmware###.log files to your reply here.

(Note in order to attach a file to this forum, you'll have to select the "Use advanced editor" link at the top right of your edit window. Then select the browse button to actually attach the files)

--

Wil

0 Kudos
sinister69
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wil

Thanks again for your reply. I have attached the 4 x log files as you asked (I hope it has worked!).

Whilst trawling through KBase articles I also found these little snippets that might be the problem:

In this article VMware KB: VMware Fusion 3 support for Mac OS X Lion (10.7) it states that Fusion virtual machines older than 3.13 do not start on 10.7 or later. My Fusion is 3.1.0, so that probably explains some, if not all, of my problems.

And it talks about using the standalone vConverter app..... scary! Maybe it is the solution though?

So it would seem to me that my problem is getting the working vm file to work with an intermediate generation of Fusion, so that it can be saved out for use by the latest Fusion on Mavericks, would you agree? I also am wondering if the fact that I jumped direct from Snow Leopard to Mavericks was problematic for Fusion. Perhaps I should fresh install Lion or Mountain Lion on Mac b and see if it is "the Mavericks factor" that has caused problems?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I do have a full working copy of Fusion 4.14, so as an experiment I loaded it onto my spare Snow Leopard mac to see if that would open my saved copy of the vm from Mac a - no joy, same "Diskearly Power On" error as above. What i did notice though was that when installing Fusion 4, there is a special installer for Upgrading from 3. I didn't use it as the spare mac has no previous Fusion 3 on it and I - once again - didn't want to do it on my working Mac a! Maybe

Then I started reading some more (as you can see this is occupying a lot of my time!) and I was wondering if this option would help me? In my Fusion 3.1.0 on mac a, if I select File > New and select Continue without Disk, and then select Use and Existing Virtual disk, I get to the screen in attached pic. Am I reading this right? Would this effectively duplicate my working Mac a VM? Maybe me just copying the bootcamp was the problem? As before though, I cannot jeopardise my working vm on Mac a!

Screen shot 2014-07-02 at 09.24.03.png

Anyhow, hope the log files or my simple minded suggestions help you to help me, thanks again for your patience with me.

S

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Unfortunately I've not had much time today and will be out of the office tomorrow for most of the day.

Copied a vmware.log file and will try to have a look at that tomorrow during the day somewhere.

Re.

sinister69 wrote:

In this article VMware KB: VMware Fusion 3 support for Mac OS X Lion (10.7) it states that Fusion virtual machines older than 3.13 do not start on 10.7 or later. My Fusion is 3.1.0, so that probably explains some, if not all, of my problems.

That's really about Fusion 3.x itself, not the VMs.

I've moved VMs of all kinds of versions between all of VMware products and usually it is no problem.

Yes bootcamp VMs are a corner case, but I would expect that it should not be too hard to get a Fusion 3 bootcamp VM to work in Fusion 6.

Will try to get a bit more time tomorrow evening and reply, my next job is ... sleep.

edit: Create New and "Create a copy of the bootcamp disk" ...hmmm no it might work, but it might also make it all a lot messier.

I cannot recommend that step, it is not the normal way to import your bootcamp VM to a normal VM.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

OK.. couldn't wait, had a peek at your vmware.log.. it's from Fusion 3.x and thus of no use to me for troubleshooting a Fusion 6.x problem.

I read you did reinstall your mac on @sysjno's advice, which did not help as it had nothing to do with your VM.

If I read that correctly then you did that install on a fresh mac? You did not wipe out the first machine you talked about?

Eg. you still have the "failed Fusion install" with a working bootcamp partition? In other words, can you follow the steps of my first reply on the first of July on that one?

--

Wil

0 Kudos
sinister69
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

wil

My apologies - i thought you wanted the log files from the working vm I was trying to move - oops. I will get them from the Fusion 6 machine once I am in the office today.

What I can say is that I cannot boot natively into windows - that is when I get the "incpomtabile_boot_volume" BSOD. I will grab a screen shot of it and attach.

I will download the linux iso this morning and try that to verify that Fusion is working and report back, along with the log files.

If only I could install Fusion 6 onto my own mac along side Fusion 3 I'm sure we would not be having these problems, but according to Kbase articles I've read, since v5.0 onwards, all Fusion installers have automatically removed older versions.

What about if I installed OSX 10.9 on an external and installed Fusion 6 on that, then connected it to my machine and booted from it? That way I could see my bootcamp partition and try to Create New > Import from Bootcamp, without destroying my original Fusion 3 working environment?

Thanks

S

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes a screenshot of the BSOD might help.

re. install Mavericks on external disk and then run "install from bootcamp". Yes that should work and not damage your current setup.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
sinister69
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Wil

Hopes raised and dashed here - I installed Mavericks 10.9 onto an external and booted from it no problem. Installed Fusion 6 no problem. Went to Fusion, selected New > Install from Bootcamp, and hey presto it started with no warnings or errors and came up with a progress bar. Yess! (I imported from my working bootcamp on my mac, not the other mac that I suspect has a bad disk sector and won't boot from bootcamp into XP).

Kept an eye on it for about 30mins whilst finishing up at the office - the progress bar was moving very slowly but it was moving - and left it going overnight.

Came in this morning all hopeful, but NOOO! the progress bar is still exactly where it was when I left. Epic fail. Admittedly it hadn't crashed, there was no spinning beach ball of death, it just hadn't moved. The bootcamp partition doesn't have much on it other than XP and some programs, I don't store live data on it, so it surely couldn't take that long could it?

Can it really be this hard to move from Fusion 3.10 to Fusion 6.0.3 without trashing a working vm?

Beginning to think I will have to create a completely new W7 bootcamp and try to re-install my work software, and I really did not want to go down that route Smiley Sad

Any further help really appreciated!

S

0 Kudos