VMware Communities
bummibrumm
Contributor
Contributor

Help for a complex network construction needed

Hi,

i´ve used Vmware Fusion a long time but now I want to use it for a more complexed enviroment. I want to create an own network for a few VMs to play with OpenVPN. Please ahve a look at the attachment - there is a graphic so you could understand my setup.

I´ve got three VMs with Debian Squeeze. The first one (VM-1) acts as a router and has two network cards - one (eth1) with NAT(vmnet8) to get access to internet and another card (eth0) to communicate to an Client (vmnet2 - VM-3). This card is a special one because the Host has no virtual device for that (so th VM-3 only could communicate to VM-1). The other VM (VM-2) is a normal one which is also located in vmnet8. I´ve enabled ip forwarding on VM-1. I want that all VMs could communicate with each other. But this doesn´t work. This is the state right now:

• VM-3 could ping VM-1 eth0 and VM-1 eth1

• VM-3 could not ping VM-2 eth0 and internet.

• VM-2 could ping VM-1 eth1 and Internet

• VM-2 could not ping VM-3 eth0 and VM-3 eth1

• VM-1 could ping VM-2 eth0, VM-3 eth0 and internet

My questions are

1. If I could ping from VM-1 all destination and I´ve enabled ip forward - why I could not reach vmnet2 from vmnet8?

2. The vmnet8 interface for my host has 192.168.133.1 - the Gateway and DNS for my guest in vmnet8 is 192.168.133.2 - why? And why I can´t ping this ip from my host?

3. Do I need a special routing for host?

4. Do I need a special routing for my vmnetX? And how could I configure it?

I hope somebody could help me.

Thanks,

bummibrumm

0 Kudos
0 Replies