VMware Communities
hlpdt10
Contributor
Contributor

Help - VMWare Fusion 4.1.3 cant install lion 10.7 on macbook rentina 2012

Dear all.

i just bough my macbook rentina 2012 ( core i7 ) and running 10.8 mountain lion on my mac.

i install vmware fusion 4.1.3 and creat new vitual machine with 10.7 lion. but when i start my vitual machine for installing 10.7 i recive the mess: "the cpu has been disabled by the guest operating system" and stuck at apple logo.

i try to coppy the vitual 10.7 OS from my imac to my macbook bro but still recive that error and stuck at apple logo.

i try to install 10.8 to my vitual machine and it's ok. but my job have to work at 10.7.

please any idea to solve that problem? thanks all

Screen Shot 2012-07-27 at 2.34.13 AM.png

0 Kudos
18 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Apple's SLA for Mac OS X Lion, specifically section 2B(iii), requires it be virtualized while running under Mac OS X Lion itself, so virtualizing it under OS X Mountain Lion violates the Mac OS X Lion SLA.  Helping you violate Apple's SLA is not allowed by the Community Terms of Use.

0 Kudos
hlpdt10
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for your reply,

but how can i solve my problem? please help me

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

but how can i solve my problem? please help me

Suggest you reread my original reply! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

You can't copy OSX from a physical machine - it's not licensed properly.  You'll need to purchase a retail license.

You may need to create a new virtual machine as well - it sounds like the CPU family is too different, and the OS can't boot.

0 Kudos
hlpdt10
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry.. im not good with English.

But i can install the vitual Lion OSX with my IMAC ( im running 10.8 on my imac with core i5)

any ideas??

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Where did you get the lion installer from?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

dlhotka wrote: Where did you get the lion installer from?

It doen't matter because Mac OS X Lion by its SLA may only be virtualized while running under Mac OS X Lion installed on Apple branded hardware and the OP is using OS X Mountain Lion.

0 Kudos
hlpdt10
Contributor
Contributor

my problem is: i can install 10.7 on my imac which running 10.8 ( core i5) but i cant install 10.7 on my macbook rentina 2012 wich runnin 10.8 ( core i7)

any idea to fix it?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

hlpdt10 wrote: my problem is: i can install 10.7 on my imac which running 10.8 ( core i5) but i cant install 10.7 on my macbook rentina 2012 wich runnin 10.8 ( core i7)

any idea to fix it?

Apple's SLA for Mac OS X Lion, specifically section 2B(iii), requires it be virtualized while running under Mac OS X Lion itself, so virtualizing it under OS X Mountain Lion violates the Mac OS X Lion SLA.  Helping you violate Apple's SLA is not allowed by the VMware Community Terms of Use.

0 Kudos
hlpdt10
Contributor
Contributor

i understanr your mean, but i dont know why i can install 10.7 lion on my imac which is running 10.8?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

hlpdt10 wrote: i understanr your mean, but i dont know why i can install 10.7 lion on my imac which is running 10.8?

Obviously you do not understand because if you did, you'd stop asking for help in violating the Mac OS X Lion SLA!  Just because one can do something doesn't make it right and even though VMware Fusion supports running Mac OS X Lion (or any legally virtualizable versions of Apple OSes) in a Virtual Machine nonetheless you still need to comply with its SLA when doing so!

Mac OS X Lion that came preinstalled cannot be virtualized.

Mac OS X Lion the was purchased in the App Store or on USB Thumb Drive may be installed on Apple branded hardware that is running Mac OS X Snow Leopard or Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server and then can also have 2 additional virtualized installs while running on the same Apple branded hardware that Mac OS X Lion is running on.  Running Mac OS X Lion in a Virtual Machine when the Host is running something other then Mac OS X Lion is prohibited by its SLA!

In other words, Mac OS X Lion is an Upgrade and that means it replaces either Mac OS X Snow Leopard or Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server on the Apple branded hardware it is installed to and then while, and only while, it is running Mac OS X Lion one can also run up to two virtualized installs on the same Apple branded hardware that Mac OS X Lion itself is running on.  If the Host is not running Mac OS X Lion you cannot virtualize it on that system and since you're running OS X Mountain Lion you cannot also run Max OS X Lion in a Virtual Machine under it whether it's technically doable or not is irrelevant, you cannot do it by its SLA!

Message was edited by: WoodyZ - Originally posted: Jul 28, 2012 12:01 PM

0 Kudos
carrida
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem as original poster but my issue IS under terms because my MBPr came with 10.7.4 and I have not upgraded to 10.8 yet.  I also had/have a bought copy of Lion that I created the original 10.7.4 VM with (on a 2008 Aluminum MacBook).  I am getting the same error that right after the login screen, it goes blank and an error message says the CPU has been disabled by the guest and that I need to shut down. 

Is there a fix for this, or is my only alternative to spend the hour moving it back to my 2008 machine?  Kind of defeats one of the benefits of VMs if you can't move it to a new machine......

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

- David

0 Kudos
hlpdt10
Contributor
Contributor

SO you mean, because off apple's SLA. I couldnt install vitual machine lion 10.7 on 10.8 system?
but

- I can run vitual machine 10.7 on my imac which is running 10.8

- I can install vitual machine 10.7 on my macbook bro 13inch 2011 which is running 10.8 too.

So is thre any way to run vitual 10.7 on my macbook rentina 2012 wich is running 10.8???

thanks

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

carrida wrote:  Kind of defeats one of the benefits of VMs if you can't move it to a new machine......

While one certainly can go through the motions of moving a physical hard drive from one physical computer to another physical computer nonetheless there is no guarantee that the installed OS will boot and or if it does boot not require some tweaking to get it to work on the new hardware.  Well, while generally speaking, Virtual Machines are portable in that they too can be copied/moved from one computer to another the same applies because a Virtual Machine is not totally virtual and does directly recognize some physical hardware, primarily the CPU, and as such is subject to the same issues as if when moving a physical hard drive from one physical computer to another physical computer.

Some OSes have no problem rectifying the different CPU and some do.  In some cases one may be able to easily fix this issue and in other cases may need to attempt a repair install or a complete new install.

Mac OS X Lion was removed from the App Store just prior to OS X Mountain Lion and while this was probably done for more then one reason.  The first of which probably is to avoid any confusion for those wanting to purchase OS X Mountain Lion accidentally selecting Mac OS X Lion and if not just to give prominence to the new release.  Another reason may be the Mac OS X Lion Installer that was in the App Store was not updated to be able to be installed on the new Apple branded hardware just released (even though the preinstalled Mac OS X Lion obviously was updated).  This may have also been done in conjunction with that and since Mac OS X Lion that was in the App Store was intended as upgrade, Apple doesn't want it being downloaded onto OS X Mountain Lion and installed virtually as is not allowed by its current SLA (although Apple may change this at some point).

So my suggestion to you is since your new MBPwRD came pre-installed with Mac OS X Lion and it may not be virtulaized by its SLA thus requiring you to purchase an additional copy and it is no longer available at the App Store I'd suggest you contact Apple to resolve your issue with your previously purchased copy of Mac OS X Lion from the App Store.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I think you've hit the nail on the head Woody - the standard 10.7.4 doesn't support the newest macs, and 10.7.5 isn't out yet.  We saw the same things when folks would try to install early version of 10.6 server on later hardware.

And of course, as you point out, the special build of 10.7.4 for the new machines doesn't allow virtualization via the EULA, so you can't just make an installer from it.

The solution is most likely to wait for 10.7.5 to be released, upgrade the VM's to it on supported hardware, and then move them to the new machines.

0 Kudos
carrida
Contributor
Contributor

Woody,

I think it completely makes sense to decline helping someone break the EULA.  However,  I read section 2B (iii) a few times today(reproduced at the bottom of email for reference).  I am not a lawyer, and it wouldn't be the first time if I was wrong, but my interpretation of that is that 'Apple Software' applies to the Apple OSX software that you have bought from the Apple Store, so really as long as you have bought both Lion and Mountain Lion from the Apple Store (buying a computer with it pre-installed does not count), then you are OK to mix and match host/VM. 

I opened a ticket with Apple support.  I did not provide my theory,  but explained that I bought both from the Apple Store and that I wanted to run Lion as a VM under Mountain Lion.  He (granted, not a lawyer either) answered with the same way I interpreted the EULA, that if I have bought it in the Apple Store, and I am using it under my Apple Store ID (meaning not selling it to someone else, or letting others use it in a way that violates the EULA), then I am good, and can run one as host and the other as guest. 

Again, I don't claim to be an expert or that I am 100% correct, but if you are not from Apple, or if you did not come by your interpretation of the EULA from an Apple lawyer, please consider reading it again, and consider if the above interpretation may be correct.  You have a vast amount of knowledge that could help out quite a few people, and my fear is that you may be declining to help people that you could help, when you really should not have to (since their use cases aren't really breaking the EULA). 

Thanks,

- D

The below is from the 10.7 EULA.  The highlighting below is not from EULA, but from me....

"

1. General.

A. The Apple software (including Boot ROM code), any third party software, documentation, interfaces, content, fonts and any data accompanying this License whether preinstalled on Apple-branded hardware, on disk, in read only memory, on any other media or in any other form (collectively the “Apple Software”) are licensed, not sold, to you by Apple Inc. (“Apple”) for use only under the terms of this License. Apple and/or Apple’s licensors retain ownership of the Apple Software itself and reserve all rights not expressly granted to you.

B. Apple, at its discretion, may make available future upgrades or updates to the Apple Software for your Apple-branded computer. Apple may provide you any such upgrades and updates that it may release up to, but not including, the next major release of the Apple Software, for free. For example, if you originally purchased a license for version 10.7 of the Apple Software, Apple may provide you for free any software upgrades or updates it might release (e.g. version 10.7.1 or 10.7.2) up to, but not including, version 10.8 of the Apple Software. After the next major release of the Apple Software, Apple may also at its discretion continue to provide minor updates and enhancements to the Apple Software. Upgrades and updates, if any, may not necessarily include all existing software features or new features that Apple releases for newer models of Apple-branded computers and may, at Apple’s discretion, be provided with or without charge. The terms of this License will govern any software upgrades or updates provided by Apple that replace and/or supplement the original Apple Software product, unless such upgrade or update is accompanied by a separate license in which case the terms of that license will govern."

"2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions."

"B. License from Mac App Store. If you obtained a license for the Apple Software from the Mac App Store, then subject to the terms and conditions of this License and as permitted by the Mac App Store Usage Rules set forth in the App Store Terms and Conditions (http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/ww/) (“Usage Rules”), you are granted a limited, non-transferable, non-exclusive license: "

"(iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is already running the Apple Software. "

0 Kudos
carrida
Contributor
Contributor

By the way, all of the reading of the EULA in my previous post was in prep for me one day running lion and mountain lion together.  My current situation is that I have a 10.7.4 guest created on an old macbook, waiting for 10.7.5 to be released so that it can be migrated to my 15" MBP with retina running 10.7.4.......

10.7.5 can't some soon enough for me 🙂 ...

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Here's my thought - Fusion is really good at limiting what you can do, to what's allowed in the EULA.  I strongly suspect that if Apple didn't want a 10.7/10.8 cross version virtualization solution, Fusion wouldn't do it (much like it won't do 10.6).

In other words, I'm not a lawyer either.  But VMWare has good ones 🙂

0 Kudos