VMware Communities
Sidhartha
Contributor
Contributor

Help Using VMWare Fusion with Bootcamp

Hi,

I just loaded VMWare Fusion yesterday on my New Mac Pro having been a Parallels user for about a year now.

Everything worked just fine until this morning when I started VMWare Fusion to see two Bootcamp partitions listed in my virtual machines... as below,

Boot Camp Partition on /dev/disk0

Boot Camp Partition on /dev/disk1

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here...? And what I should do about it...??

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

OS X doesn't guarantee disk ordering, so what is now disk0 might later be disk1. Fusion isn't currently smart enough to deal with this, so it gets confused when the disks switch. Since your data is actually on the Boot Camp partition, as long as you don't need to make changes to the virtual hardware, you can just ignore this and pick the one that works.

If you do need to make changes to the virtual hardware, make sure you do it to both.

tolachin
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, but this doesnt address the issue that I have to activate my XP license yet again! ( I already had to activate it again after parallels and bootcamp ) And it tries to install VMware tools all over again.

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

And it tries to install VMware tools all over again.

Does this read as the installation of the tools is not successful? In this case, it is most-likely what causes your reactivation trouble....

Ciao, Andreas

0 Kudos
Cryptonome
Contributor
Contributor

This is a big issue on Fusion, if you have as an example a Mac Pro with 4 hard drives and 3 of them are formated in Windows format you can not run Fusion properly.

Fusion fail in the MBR identification and them your problems start.

I hope VMWare will come with a solution, but Fusion is not ready for production usage, we try but it's not ready and we have several licenses purchased.

We have to move back to Parallels, it's more predictable than Fusion unfortunatly.

0 Kudos
BobFillmore
Contributor
Contributor

It's now over two years later and this bug still exists... any chance it will eventually be fixed?

It should be an easy fix: allow the user to configure a volume name for the boot drive in the virtual machine settings, allowing VMWare Fusion to search for the proper drive.

0 Kudos
BobFillmore
Contributor
Contributor

Recently my Boot Camp partition started being mounted as /dev/disk2, so I now have 3 profiles pointing to the same Boot Camp partition. To make matters worse, booting Vista with the new profile results in a Windows activation warning. When I tell it to go online to reactivate Windows it tells me I have to call Microsoft. So now I'm in a situation where I have to call Microsoft depending on which disk responded first during boot of my Mac Pro. Fortunately I had a second Vista product key I'm not using so I was able to activate it immediately, but isn't it asking a bit much to have to have two Vista product keys? Please implement a fix for this!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

According to in Re: Duplicate entries on Virtual Machine Library dialog it is not fixed in the very soon to be released Fusion 3!

Also I have to laugh when I read BS like "Fusion isn't currently smart enough to deal with this, so it gets confused when the disks switch." when what it comes down to is that it's the developers that were not and still are not smart enough to figure it out!

This is totally unacceptable and inexcusable that this issue existed in the first place much less 3 years later and 3 major versions and it's still an issue. But I guess to be fair it took VMware over 5 years to turn the VMware Tools Shared Folders feature into something useful so can we really bitch about this yet?! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos