VMware Communities
JFHA
Contributor
Contributor

Help Installing Mac OS X Server 10.6

Hey guys,

I'm trying to install Mac OS X Server 10.6 on a VMWare Fusion Virtual Machine using the retail disc, but it's telling me it cannot install it on the Virtual Machine.

How do I have to configure the VM so OS X Server can be installed to it?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

So three things.  First, it has to be a high enough patch level - 10.6.8 works, and I recall the it's either .3 or .5 that's the minimum.  Second, it'll only install in Fusion running on a Mac (not workstations).  Last, use disk utility to make a disk image, then drag/drop that into the new machine wizard to create the new VM.

0 Kudos
dempson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

A disk image of the 10.6.3 Server retail DVD works. I just tried it again with Fusion 11.0.2. (I got as far as initial setup questions after install, then shut down and deleted the VM since I don't need another one.)

I recall that with my previous installation of Snow Leopard Server in a VM I tried using the DVD directly and it was not recognised by VMware Fusion, therefore I agree with dlhotka that the disk image is a necessary step. You don't need anything newer than the 10.6.3 Server retail DVD, which is good because that was the final release.

I don't have the original 10.6 Server retail DVD so I can't test whether that works.

0 Kudos