VMware Communities
czhang4
Contributor
Contributor

Help: BSOD STOP 7B with Windows 7 running off Bootcamp on Macbook Pro

I have a macbook pro running snow leopord with vmware fusion 3.1.3 installed. I installed windows 7 64 bit via boot camp.

I had no luck to let fusion pick up the boot camp partition automatically, everytime, it complains about windows is not shut down cleanly. I have tried to chkdsk, boot into windows and then back to mac, delete the bootcamp vm and let fusion recreate it, etc, etc. none of them works.

Finally, I manually created a vm and linked the bootcamp partition to this new vm. It boots! but dies quickly with the infamous STOP 7B BSOD error. I have tried to modify the registry entries, copied those two .sys files, (intelide and f80xx) to the system32/ directory, does not work. Tried to fix via windows receovery tool, no luck; tried to rebuild bcd, no luck.

Now, I am really out of resources, any suggestion? Any supporting log I should collect to help to triage further?

TIA

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Archive (compress) and attach any vmware*.log files found in: "/Users/${USER}Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Helper/naos-1.0.vmwarevm/"

Or better yet...

To help figure out what is what the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .tgz file it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

0 Kudos
czhang4
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, WoodyZ,

Please see the attachment.

Please note that I have 3 vms, one is windows 7 installed via vm, the other one is ubuntu, both of them works just fine. The one that is in trouble is the one called BC.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
czhang4
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, WoodyZ,

Can you shed some light in this issue? Really want to run my windows with MAC 🙂

TIA

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Well the vmware.log file for the Helper VM shows:

Sep 26 01:54:57.251: vcpu-0| Guest: 401 reconfig :  unable to mount Windows disk as NTFS or FAT32

Although I'm not sure why it couldn't mount it to reconfigure the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine properly.  Things looked okay with the fdisk and gpt output in the .tgz file.

As to the BSOD that has to be diagnosed/troubleshoot just as if it was a Physical Machine and if you what to know what VMware Fusion does to the Boot Camp partition in order to have Windows from the Boot Camp partition run as a Virtual Machine then dissecting the contents of the *.reg and *.sh files in the "/Users/${USER}/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Helper/naos-1.0.vmwarevm/reconfig.iso" file is what I'd look at and make sure the proper drivers and Windows Registry entries exist.

If you have to turn on boot logging from a native boot, then boot the Virtual Machine to fill the log and then access it from Finder to review the log that is also something I'd do.  Also look at the Windows Event Logs for any clues.

0 Kudos
czhang4
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks WoodyZ! The bootcamp.reg in that iso does have the intelide and i8042prt entries, intelide start = 0, and the other one start = 1.

From the vmware.log, I do see the following errors, does this matter?

TIA

Sep 26 01:54:47.248: vmx| FILE: File_GetTimes: error stating file "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/rawdiskAuthorization": No such file or directory
Sep 26 01:54:47.248: vmx| RawDiskAuthLoadPrivilegesDictionary: could not get modification time for file '/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/rawdiskAuthorization', error 2
Sep 26 01:54:47.249: vmx| DISKLIB-FLAT  : opening raw device /dev/rdisk0s3
Sep 26 01:54:47.281: vmx| DISKLIB-FLAT  : Unmounted "/dev/disk0s3" on open.
Sep 26 01:54:47.283: vmx| FILE: FileIO_ResetExcludedFromTimeMachine Couldn't get xattr on path [/dev/rdisk0s3]: Operation not permitted.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

It may be part of the issue however at the point the line I quoted happens it a done deal and is not going to reconfigure properly since it cannot mount the disk.  The only thing I can suggest at the moment regarding having VMware Fusion try to reconfigure it, is to use Disk Utility and check/repair permissions on the Macintosh HD and then try again.

Otherwise as I said with the BSOD on the BC Virtual Machine you manually created, normal industry standard diagnostics/troubleshooting apply.

0 Kudos
czhang4
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, WoodyZ,

What I am struggling understanding here is that bootcamp itself boots with no problem. I also tried to follow some instructions online to deal with the stop 7b issue, for example, change the ahci reg entries, using windows startup disk to fix it automatically. Even though every time, the startup recovery tool was able to catch an error, the fix never worked. I manually rebuilt the bcd and mbr, still does not work.

Any other suggestions?

TIA.

0 Kudos