VMware Communities
slgarwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have to restart Sharing every time I reboot Linux VM to get shares working

MacOS 11.4, Fusion Pro 12.1.2, Linux Mint or Ubuntu. Every time I reboot the Linux virtual environment I have to go to Fusion settings, stop folder sharing (uncheck box), then start folder sharing up again (click check box). It doesn't make any sense but that's the problem. Anyone have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Known issue and mentioned in the release notes of VMware Tools.

Yeah I  know, who reads that.. lucky for you I do.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Tools/11.3/rn/VMware-Tools-1130-Release-Notes.html

VMware Tools Issues in VMware Workstation or Fusion

Shared Folders mount is unavailable on Linux VM. If the Shared Folders feature is enabled on a Linux VM while it is powered off, the shared folders mount is not available on restart.

Note: This issue is applicable to VMware Tools running on Workstation and Fusion.

Workaround:

If the VM is powered on, disable and enable the Shared Folders feature from the interface. For resolving the issue permanently, edit /etc/fstab and add an entry to mount the Shared Folders automatically on boot.

For example, add the line:

vmhgfs-fuse   /mnt/hgfs    fuse    defaults,allow_other    0    0

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
slgarwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Continues into Fusion 12.1.2 .... must be a 'feature' 🙂

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Well... you originally reported it for 12.1.2 ...

Did you add the extra line in /etc/fstab like suggested?

That should take care of the issue.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos