VMware Communities
pantherfan69
Contributor
Contributor

Have they fixed networking in Fusion 5?

Right now i have to run bootcamp and dual boot to windows because fusion has the following issues

1) If i run in bridged mode (DHCP) i cannot get a dhcp address

2) If i run in bridged mode (static), the network interfaces flap between the vm and the physical machine, so i end up with 50% packet loss in the vm and out of the vm.

I cannot run in NAT mode due to it breaking 2-way audio on the Lync application (people can hear me, but i cannot hear them).

Anyone tried these configs lately to see if they have been fixed since fusion 4 (mountain lion didnt fix it)

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

1 must be an issue unique to your conifg - it's worked fine for me for years.  Some networks (particularly in corporations) are configured to only allow 1 IP per MAC address.

0 Kudos
pantherfan69
Contributor
Contributor

we are using cisco LWAP controllers here, are you using bridged mode or NAT mode?

0 Kudos
CaptainZach
Contributor
Contributor

This probably isn't a Mac OS or Fusion issue.  If the Cisco WLAN is configured to use any form of 802.1x authentication (WPA-Enterprise or WPA2-Enterprise), then you will have the problem with DHCP.... the WLC will not allow a second IP addess to be issued for the same wireless connection  That's a security feature of the Cisco WLCs.  Use a wired connection if possible.

0 Kudos
daemonvirt
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar issue.

I have a Windows 7 guest that under VMWare Fusion 4 the networking was working.  Once I upgraded to VMWare Fusion 5 it broke.  I updated the tools, installed them and the application a couple of times, and restart host and guest.

In NAT mode it will say that it has duplicate IP's for the adapter.

It will not connect in bridge mode either.

I am not having any other issues but I do hope they resolve this so that I get the networking functionality back.

0 Kudos
MyDogHasFleas2
Contributor
Contributor

Strongly suspect this is an issue with your networking infrastructure rather than Fusion. I run fine with your exact config on my home network just fine.

What you are doing with bridged mode is equivalent to this:  connect a physical Ethernet switch to your LAN port, connect your Mac to the physical switch, and also connect a separate Windows computer to that switch.  Have a chat with your network admins to see if they allow this. Many LANs are set up to only allow one device and IP per port, and the network admins have to do something on their end to permit you to have two devices on a port.

0 Kudos
daemonvirt
Contributor
Contributor

So my issue has been resolved.  Evidently during the upgrade process the antivirus program got corrupted.

I had tried disabling and rebooting the Windows guest but that did not work.  I was instructed to remove the software and reboot.

This worked fine and even once I reinstalled the application it still worked fine.  So something was messed up with the app and needed to be removed.

0 Kudos