VMware Communities
TenThousandThin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hard Disk 2 (SCSI) doesn't appear in Windows Explorer

~ Vista Business runing in Fusion 1.1.1 on Leopard

I've been trying to create a second hard drive. Here's what I've done:

1. Shut down the VM and used Settings to create a "Hard Disk 2" (SCSI, 149.1 GB).

2. When I start the VM up, "Hard Disk 2" appears in the Virtual Machine menu.

However, it isn't active or whatever. It doesn't appear in Vista's "Computer" view. All I see is the C hard drive.

I'm sorry, I guess this shows that I'm a Windows beginner, but I can't figure out how to get Vista to see it, and I'm afraid I will screw something up if I just start experimenting randomly. I need this system to work. Do I need to update the drivers? What am I missing?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The second virtual hard drive likely is visible to Windows, but just like adding a physical hard drive to a PC, it doesn't have a file system on it by default. You need to format the new hard drive for use.

While I don't have Windows Vista in front of me, so, this is a link to the Microsoft Vista Online Help which will walk you through it:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/d9a4d35e-efdf-406c-a049-0860180129a71033.mspx#EF...

Hope that helps.

Pat

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The second virtual hard drive likely is visible to Windows, but just like adding a physical hard drive to a PC, it doesn't have a file system on it by default. You need to format the new hard drive for use.

While I don't have Windows Vista in front of me, so, this is a link to the Microsoft Vista Online Help which will walk you through it:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/d9a4d35e-efdf-406c-a049-0860180129a71033.mspx#EF...

Hope that helps.

Pat

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Anytime you add a hard drive to a computer physical or virtual if it's not already partitioned and formated and in this case it's not, you need to partition and format the drive to enable its use and to have it show in the filesystem. This is normal and expected behavior. Just follow the directions in the link provided by Pat and you should be okay.

TenThousandThin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, it worked!

0 Kudos