Contributor
Contributor

HID enabled but still can't connect

Host machine is OS X 10.6.8

Guest is Windows 7 X64

VMWare Fusion 3.1.2

I have edited the .vmx file and added the line:

usb.generic.allowHID = "TRUE"

The VM recognizes the USB device (Honeywell 3800G barcode scanner) however when I try to connect the usb device I get an error:

Cannot connect "Hand Held 3800G" to this virtual machine.

The host requires this device for input.

This message is pretty clear. Fusion either can't or won't take control of this device. I have tried setting it to auto connect in the USB settings for the VM but when I restart the machine it just doesn't connect.

I did try and add the BOLD line to the .vmx file also with no avail (replaced the vendor and product info from that found in system profiler):

I was able to determine the Vendor ID (10fb) and Product ID (0001)  for the device. Then, in the .vmx file, I added the following lines:

usb.generic.allowHID = "true"

usb.autoConnect.device0 = "0x10bf:0x1"

I've been searching to see if I can somehow force Fusion to take the USB device for the guest OS but as of yet I have not found the solution. All of the posts that I found that told me to add the allowHID line seemed to be older posts for older VMWare versions. Maybe someone has some solution that works for 3.1.2???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nathan

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I've see this type of behavior with some devices and if you intend to use the device in the Virtual Machine then you need to stop the Host from taking control of it.  Or if the Guest cannot grab control from the Host then you may need to manually unload the kernel extension that is being loaded for the device so as to enable the Guest to be able to grab it.

0 Kudos
Dunn_Hatani
Contributor
Contributor

I will do a little googling on identifying and unloading kexts for this device. I will report back after I have tried some things.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Have a look at: kextstat(8) & kextload(8)

0 Kudos
Dunn_Hatani
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm having a hard time identifying kexts that would ONLY be for this HID device. It seems like many of the kexts that I'm seeing as possibilities are drivers/kexts for multiple devices i.e. my mouse and keyboard.

I must say that not having something akin to the windows device manager where you can enable, disable, or unistall drivers for a particular device is a bit irritating.

So as of yet still unsuccessfull but still trying.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

In aTerminal...

kextstat > ~/Desktop/kextstat.txt

Then attach the kextstat.txt file to a repy post.

0 Kudos
Dunn_Hatani
Contributor
Contributor

For just a basic list of kexts, system profiler can manage that just fine I just found out.

I have attached the file.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If I had to guess I'd pick this one: com.silex.driver.sxuptp

0 Kudos