VMware Communities
setotitan
Contributor
Contributor

HELP: What Amount of Resources Do I Need To Give Windows 8

I'm running VMware Fusion 4 on a Macbook Pro 13" late 2011 with and i5 processor and 8GB of memory. What I'm trying to find out is the amount of resources my VM will need. The Windows 8 VM will not be doing anything crazy like video editing. I'm running open, AIM messenger, 2 RDP sessions, a Word doc, Notepad++, and Google Chrome with 6 tabs open. Basically I understand all the settings, I just need help with how much memory with the VM needs, and how many cores should I allocate. With memory I can do up to 4GB for the VM, should I give it that much or is it overkill? The other setting is cores, I'm not sure about this at all, my choices are 1 core, 2 cores, or 4 cores, again what's the right choice? Any help here would be great guys, thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Always start with less because you can always add more - so start with 1 vcpu and the recommended aamount of RAM that Fusion sets -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

setotitan wrote: I'm running VMware Fusion 4 on a Macbook Pro 13" late 2011 with and i5 processor and 8GB of memory. What I'm trying to find out is the amount of resources my VM will need. The Windows 8 VM

Windows 8 is not officially supported under VMware Fusion 4, so you may have some issues with it.  It is supported under VMware Fusion 5.

0 Kudos