VMware Communities
bandito22
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HELP! - Line1: Syntax Error -

Hi,

Having trouble launching my VMWare XP machine this morning. Giving me the 'Line1: Syntax Error' problem.

I read some other posts regarding this but really could not understand what I am looking for to fix it.

Attached are my log files.

Any help would be very very greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The attached file "Windows_XP_Professional.zip" contains a "Windows XP Professional.vmx" file created from the contents of the "vmware.log" file and you can use it to replace the corrupted one.

File Attached: "Windows_XP_Professional.zip"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The attached file "Windows_XP_Professional.zip" contains a "Windows XP Professional.vmx" file created from the contents of the "vmware.log" file and you can use it to replace the corrupted one.

File Attached: "Windows_XP_Professional.zip"

0 Kudos
bandito22
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Awesome! Thanks very much you really saved my bacon on this one.

I will compare your file with mine to try to understand the problem.

Many Thanks!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's not unusual for the .vmx configuration file to get corrupted under certain circumstances and why maintaining a backup is a good idea. As long as you have the vmware.log files it's easy to create a new one from the vmware.log files. A new one can be create by the application too however it's better to have the one that the VM was using or created from the vmware.log file vs a new one created by the application.

bandito22
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks,

You say it is easy to create a new one from the log files, could you enlighten me?

I tried the 'vmxrecovery.pl' method but that did not seem to do anything at all.

Is there another method, or did I do something wrong (I did not delete the corrupt vmx before running)??

Thanks Again.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vmxRecover.pl is a Perl Script and if executed by itself it shows:

Recovers .vmx files from .log files. Usage:
./vmxRecover.pl logfile > vmxfile

Which translates as an example to:

./vmxRecover.pl vmware.log > "Windows XP Professional.vmx"

The easiest way to use it is to drag and drop the vmxRecover.pl file onto a Terminal window.

Next, drag and drop the vmware.log file onto the Terminal window and then type "> " without the quotes. (Note the space after: >)

Next, then either type the name of the target .vmx file or drag and drop the target .vmx file onto the Terminal window. If you drag an drop the .vmx into the Terminal window you'll need to click into the Terminal and press Enter or just press Enter if you typed in the .vmx file name.

Note: If you drag and drop the target .vmx file onto the Terminal window or are in that directory in the Terminal it will overwrite the original file so if necessary back it up first however since it is corrupt that's probably not necessary however I try to never tell someone to overwrite something without first backing it up. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos