VMware Communities
mswaney1
Contributor
Contributor

HELP....Imac crash

Hello.... Hoping to find some help on this board.

My Imac fusion drive has failed and will not let me boot it up.

I am currently booting externally to be able to view.

I can drag and drop apple files but when I try window files it just say that it can't convert them.

Does anyone know how to get those window files?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I’m confused by your setup and/or the terms you use.

You’re running Windows in a VM on Fusion?

Your VM files are on a drive that failed?

What are you booting externally?

What errors do you get, where do you see them, when do you get them? (Screenshots can help)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
mswaney1
Contributor
Contributor

THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING!!

I have a Imac that has a fusion hard drive that has failed and will not let me boot it up.

I am using VMWARE Fusion 10 pro for Mac 

After I installed vmware I then installed Windows and Quickbooks.

***The Imac is now at a shop to get a new hard drive installed and they can't seem to get the window's files off of the computer.  They were able to drag and drop all of the apple files but not the windows files.  When they do window files it says  "can't convert"

When I spoke to the shop I asked them how they were accessing the information and they told me they were booting up externally to access the files.

Sorry for lack of information, I'm not a computer guy.  If there is something I need to ask the shop specifically to be able to save my quickbook files please let me know and I will call them.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your Windows files are contained within a virtual disk file (.vmdk) that VMware Fusion can access, but MacOS on it’s own cannot access.

Have you told them that the Windows files are contained within a VM?

If they are able to copy the .vmwarevm file (also known as the VM package) to a new hard disk, they or you should be able to access the VM,the virtual disk file.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos