VMware Communities
mchotdog
Contributor
Contributor

HELP!!! FUSION + WINDOWS XP BOOTING PROBLEM!!!

Hello All,

I have an urgent question!! I am running Fusion + Windows XP on my macbook. I accidently turned off my laptop today without properly closing Fusion & Windows XP. After my mac rebooted and I tried running Windows XP again, it wouldn't work! The windows xp cannot fully boot, and instead stops at the screen where it asks you if you would like to enter safe mode or continue normally. No matter how many times I try it, Windows will NOT load. Can anyone please offer a solution??

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Yaztromo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have an urgent question!! I am running Fusion + Windows XP on my macbook. I accidently turned off my laptop today without properly closing Fusion & Windows XP. After my mac rebooted and I tried running Windows XP again, it wouldn't work! The windows xp cannot fully boot, and instead stops at the screen where it asks you if you would like to enter safe mode or continue normally. No matter how many times I try it, Windows will NOT load. Can anyone please offer a solution??

You need to tell the boot process to continue, however unlike when the system is fully booted (and the VMware Tool are loaded), you'll have to actually click on the window, and then use the cursor keys to point to the correct entry, and press enter (this isn't a mouse-enabled dialog in Windows, and without the VMware Tools loaded, you have to click inside the window to give it keyboard focus).

HTH!

Yaz.

0 Kudos
mchotdog
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, but I have already done that. I have tried all the options, safe mode, normal mode, run the mode that last worked, etc. None of it works. Is there any alternative to re-installing xp? When it is booting I tried hitting all the F keys and nothing works. I also tried booting from start-up of my laptop, rather than through fusion, and it still doesnt work. Oh, and if I forgot to mention, I am using the bootcamp partition.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Is your bootcamp partition NTFS or FAT32 format? If it is FAT32 you can try to use Apple Disk Utility to repair the filesystem. Can you describe what happens after you select Safe or Normal mode?

0 Kudos
mchotdog
Contributor
Contributor

I am not on my laptop right now, so I can't check....and also, I am not sure where you do check? My friend installed everything for me, so I don't know off the top of my head.

The same thing happens regardless of what mode I try...the computer acts as if it is rebooting, so a vmware loading thing pops up for about 1 sec, and then the windows xp loading screen appears, with that yellow thing moving back and forth under the logo. After that it goes to a blue screen with a lot of text on it for about 1 sec, (I can't really read it because it goes by so fast) and then it is back at the screen giving me the options of what kind of mode I would like to run.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

You're experiencing a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) early in the boot process so either the filesystem or Windows is corrupted. If you run Disk Utility, and if it's a FAT32 partition, Disk Utility will allow you to repair your Boot Camp partition otherwise it's probably an NTFS partition. If repairing the filesystem doesn't work, you may have to perform a Repair installation of XP by booting directly into Boot Camp with your XP disk.

0 Kudos