VMware Communities
gipezoza
Contributor
Contributor

HELP! Can't open VM - 'A disk read error occurred' Press Ctrl +Alt+Del to restart - does not respond!

I had to manually shut down my mac as it froze trying to download files from Safari - I was also downloading files in Windows using VMware - so when I restarted my mac all was well but when I tried to open VM, I got the error message above and can get no further. No matter how I respond programme does not respond. Please, please help! Thank you.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
BP9906
Expert
Expert

Is this an OSX error or Windows error? Perhaps you could post a screenshot of the error.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
gipezoza
Contributor
Contributor

Hi! I am new to OSX, and can't determine where the problem originated... I have no idea how to take a screenshot, can you advise? I feel way out of my depth here and appreciate your help very much. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You can take a screenshot of the entire screen with Command-Shift-3, or select a region with Command-Shift-4. These and other useful shortcuts are under System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts.

0 Kudos
gipezoza
Contributor
Contributor

Okay... please pardon my ignorance, but I was able to take a screenshot (at least I think I did) but could not find where it is stored to paste! Sorry again...I went to system preferences and found the information but couldn't make it work. Argh!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

By default it should show on your Desktop as Picture n.png where n is a number. (That is if you didn't pick a key combo that puts it on the Clipboard)

Edit: Added Info.

Built-in Mac Screenshot Commands

Key Combination - Result

CommandShift3 Capture entire screen and save as a file.

CommandControlShift+3 Capture entire screen and copy to the clipboard.

CommandShift4 Capture dragged area and save as a file.

CommandControlShift+4 Capture dragged area and copy to the clipboard.

CommandShift4 then Space bar Capture a window, menu, desktop icon, or the menu bar and save as a file.

CommandControlShift+4 then Space bar Capture a window, menu, desktop icon, or the menu bar and copy to the clipboard.

0 Kudos
gipezoza
Contributor
Contributor

There, I think that did it. Please let me know if you can see the screen. Thanks.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yep, the screenshot is visible. The message is coming from the guest, which makes me think the guest disk was not in a consistent state when you did the hard reset of the iMac. I would suggest standard Windows disk troubleshooting techniques - problem is, I'm not sure of the specifics since I don't use Windows. I'm sure someone else will know.

0 Kudos
gipezoza
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. Thanks for hanging in there with me. Yes, what you are saying sounds like you are on the right track - when I shut down vmware and re-open it, the following attached window springs to life. Don't know what it means though. Appreciate any helpful advice. Thanks and thanks again.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The virtual disk file got corrupted.

Options for fixing this include:

- running the Windows installer in repair mode

- attaching the virtual disk to another, working, Windows VM and running disk repair tools

0 Kudos
gipezoza
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info - I will give it a go. A bit vague on what 'attaching the virtual disk to another, working Windows VM' means though - could you detail your answer with a few more specifics...? Sorry, just really new to this. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
c_andrew
Contributor
Contributor

I am getting the same error, where you able to fix this issue? If so, what did you do to repair it?

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

There's no easy GUI way to currently attach an existing virtual disk as a secondary disk on another virtual machine. The easier route might be to go ahead and attach the Windows install CD and go through the installation process until windows asks you to install or repair (skip the first option to repair and press F8 for the EULA), then you'll get this screen:

Choose 'R' to repair the OS.

Note: If chose the Easy Install option, you will need to download the VMware SCSI floppy disk and press F6 to get Windows to load the driver, the follow the rest of the directions above.

0 Kudos
javedmshah
Contributor
Contributor

i have the same problem. i went to setup and changed boot order to boot from the Windows CD.

I am NOT able to get past the "Setup is inspecting your hardware configuration".

As of this writing, i am using VMWare Fusion , 1.1 build 62573, just purchased it last week.

This is my office Windows XP image and I need it to work before I get to office tomorrow. Can anyone help?

0 Kudos