VMware Communities
Peggaweng
Contributor
Contributor

Guest VPN connection issues

Hi,

I have a VMware Fusion macOS 10.14 vm that I was using before I upgraded to Big Sur (on the host Mac) without any issues.

After upgrading my host to Big Sur and Fusion to 12.1.0 some of my VPN connections (in the guest) no longer work correctly.

I have Shimo with Cisco IPSEC connections and they make a successful connection to the VPN but I am unable to connect to any servers on the VPN destination end. The connection times out. I usually use ssh to connect to them.

Has anyone got any ideas what this issue might be?

As a test, I installed a Big Sur VM in Parallels and the same Shimo profile works fine from that. I am assuming it's a VMware network issue?

Thanks in advance for any help 🙂

5 Replies
Peggaweng
Contributor
Contributor

To add some more details. I have Pulse Secure VPNs and Cisco AnyConnect VPNs that still work fine.

Seems to only be related to IPSEC connections? I also added the same connection that doesn't work into the Network settings in System Preferences and still have the same issue.

0 Kudos
Peggaweng
Contributor
Contributor

bump

0 Kudos
xray64
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Having the same issue: Big Sur 11.1, Fusion 12.1.0

From Guest operating systems, I can no longer access sites on the other side of the VPN, regular internet connectivity works fine.

I am also using Shimo -and- OpenVPN for various VPN targets. Both of these products will no longer allow the guest operating systems to connect successfully.

0 Kudos
xray64
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There is THIS in the release notes: will this be addressed?

Known Issues

The virtual machine (VM) cannot access the same network as the host while macOS Big Sur host is connected to the virtual private network (VPN)

If the Big Sur host is connected to VPN, then the VM cannot access the same network as that of the host.

Workaround: Connect to the VPN in the VM instead of connecting to the VPN on the host.

0 Kudos
er_sanj
Contributor
Contributor

Lol Is this a workaround?

0 Kudos