VMware Communities
flomvudi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Guest CPU Throttling Test script help

Hi etung and vmware fusion team, I'm very happy with my XP and Ubuntu guests on fusion. My issues with the XP guest and wake from sleep/glitched graphics went away when I created a new guest rather than importing from parallels. The parallels imported guest was all messed up. Now things are great except for high CPU usage at idle. I've turned off the 3d graphics and removed all unnecessary startup items and USB peripherals, the conclusion I've come to is that I might be experiencing CPU throttling multipliers. I see that the script to check this looks like this: run while true; do true;

however I can't seem to make that work. If you could work me through exactly what to type and when to press the enter key I'd be grateful.

This is in reference to this issue:

Host CPU throttling

On laptops, depending on your power settings, OS X might throttle the CPU speed. The CPU usage reported by Activity Monitor doesn't adjust for this (or does, depending on your point of view), so for example 24% of a core that is throttled 6x slower would be the same as 4% of an unthrottled core.

You can check this by doing something that causes the CPU to run at full speed (for example, run while true; do true; done in a Terminal window, use ctrl-C to break it when you're finished). If the CPU usage of the guest drops, this was the issue. As long as the laptop isn't actually running hotter, host CPU throttling isn't a problem.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You missed the done at the end. Open Terminal app and type the following:

while true; do true; done

Pressing enter will start, use ctrl-c to end the loop.

0 Kudos