VMware Communities
rhythm123
Contributor
Contributor

Gosh: Fusion freeze OSX randomly and mess up screen and make it flickering

My MBP is the late 2008 new uni-body 15'', 2.4GHz, 4G Mem, passed all diagnose test, OSX 10.5.8, Fusion 2.0.5, Nvidia 9600 (not using the standalone one). XP guest OS has been allocated for 1G mem.

If I have Fusion up and a XP/SP3 running, the OSX might be frozen and the screen would get messed up and start flickering. The only thing I can do by then is hard shutdown.

The frequency is quite rare, maybe I'll see in every a few days or at most a couple of time in a day.

It's quite quite annoying. Anyone seen similar problem?

I took the MBP to apple store, they test it for 3 days saying no problem, but they don't use vmware fusion (they uses bootcamp)

any pointer will be appreciated.

ps, I only started seeing this after I updated to 10.5.7/10.5.8, but I haven't got a chance to rollback and verify this yet. It may or may not be related. just FYI.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rhythm123
Contributor
Contributor

BTW, I'm NOT running any games. the problem may even happen when I have Fusion XP running in the background (with no extensive user program running).

0 Kudos
clindloff
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problems. Macbook unibody, from Feb 2009. It would work just fine, my computer would lock hard. It seemed to happen randomly but more often when I was streaming video. I tried everything, turn of 3D stuff, rebuild the entire Mac, etc. I even took it into Apple had it 2 days nothing wrong. I needed to have Windows up and running to do parts of my job. Also at random times I would get insane CPU spikes while the VM was doing nothing, maybe ADUC open which is just a Windows MMC console.

Well in the end I went to Parallels 4.0 and it works like a champ in so many ways. Its sad really because 80% of my job is managing ESX clusters, and the main reason I chose fusion was because its was a VMware product.

OT: but can you make a OS X vsphere/vcenter client?

0 Kudos
raffs
Contributor
Contributor

I too have the same problem (MBP unibody 15", a few months old, currently running 10.6, but I had the same problem with 10.5.x). I thought it happened more frequently after running Fusion (and it definitively happens more frequently after/while watching a video).

Today it happened 3 times, and I didn't use Fusion at all (but the various VMware network deamons are running). Any suggestion will be appreciated.

0 Kudos