VMware Communities
rmgould48
Contributor
Contributor

Getting VM fusion to work

A few weeks ago I suffered from a problem of getting a black screen when I opened VM fusion. I wrote Virtual Machine ill not connect up this problem and got one reply which wasn't very informative. (The first step would be to do the standard troubleshooting as if this were a physical computer that showed a black screen - recover your data if possible (e.g. with VMDKMounter), then try to start from a bootable disc, repair the guest, and so on. See Re: How can I repair XP in VMware Fusion 2 for the latter. - from Etung - I never got additional support) I called Smith Micro technical support and the customer service agent suggested that I uninstall and then reinstall VM fusion. I just completed this task. I downloaded a free trial version, but since I had purchased the version which I uninstalled, I used the product key number for the version that I purchased. After the installation, when I tried opening VM fusion, I get the message that the VM fusion cannot connect to the virtual machine. I can try again with the evaluation code, but don't feel that I should purchase VM fusion again when I purchased it just 5 months ago. Please someone in the community advise me how to get my system up and running again

Bob Gould

0 Kudos
1 Reply
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I wrote Virtual Machine ill not connect up this problem

This makes absolutely no sense.

I never got additional support

That might be because you din't re[ly any furthe in the thread as to what troubleshooting you tried and if you followed the information in the link Eric provided so you could boot the Virtual machine and preform a Repair Install of Windows.

I called Smith Micro technical support and the customer service agent suggested that I uninstall and then reinstall VM fusion.

Uninstalling/Reinstalling Fusion is not going to help a Virtual Machine that is having a problem at the Guest OSes level and that is why Eric suggested you backup the User Data and do a repair install. So did you even try that?

I just completed this task. I downloaded a free trial version, but since I had purchased the version which I uninstalled, I used the product key number for the version that I purchased. After the installation, when I tried opening VM fusion, I get the message that the VM fusion cannot connect to the virtual machine. I can try again with the evaluation code, but don't feel that I should purchase VM fusion again when I purchased it just 5 months ago.

Why would you have to buy Fusion again, sorry but that makes no sense and by the way there is no trial version of Fusion, what you download is a full and normal release and is the exact same binary as if you paid for it and the only difference is the Serial Number in that one is a 30 Day Trial Serial Number which times out and a purchased Serial Number doesn't time out yet there is absolutely no functional difference with Fusion using either type of Serial Number.

Have you tried rebooting the Mac and running Fusion again? If not what is the exact wording of any messages you get and if necessary post a screenshot.

0 Kudos