VMware Communities
Jfer
Contributor
Contributor

Get an error when trying to take a snapshot: File already exists

Hi,

Hope anyone has run into this before or shed some light.

I have been using Fusion for about 2 months. Fusion got unresponsive while I was creating a snapshot and I had to force quit Fusion. The Virtual guest was off at the time. Then every time I create a snapshot I get the following message:

" There was an error while trying to take the snap shot.

Error taking snapshot:

File already exists. "

When I got to settings of the VM and then to the HD, everything is grayed out and there is a message that says:

" This settings cannot be changed while the virtual machine has a snapshot. To make these changes first delete all snapshots".

I of course do not want to delete all snapshots as that may not solve the problem.

I found knowledge base article 1008515. Followed the troubleshooting tips, deleted the lock file but I still keep getting the same error.

Fusion: V2.0.2.

Host: MAC OS 10.5.6

Guest: Windows XP SP3

Thanks

Jfer

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jfer
Contributor
Contributor

I have got more information:

I tried to create the snapshot while the guest OS (Windows XP) was on and got a message where it is saying the file: Windows XP Professional-Snapshot17.vmsn (I suppressed the whole folder path) already exists. Then opened an x terminal window and went to the VM folder and that file does not exist.

It definitely looks like the snapshots are out of sync or something like that because that file does not even exist. Any help would be much appreciated.

Attached is the VM bundle list.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Archive and attach the following files...

Windows XP Professional.vmsd

vmware-0.log

vmware-1.log

vmware-2.log

vmware.log

Have a look at if you need help with archiving the files.

0 Kudos
Jfer
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for replying.

Attached are the files.

0 Kudos
davidredekop
Contributor
Contributor

I experienced the same symptoms except that I'm not even using snapshots. I noticed (using terminal.app) the following two files in the virtual machine directory for this vm:

24797184000 Windows Vista x64 Edition.vmdk

24796725248 Windows Vista x64 Edition.vmdk.dfgshkgrw-tmp

I moved the second file to a different directory and was then able to initiate a re-size successfully. My attempt to re-size from 24GB to 30GB took several minutes, and without an error dialog, it seemed to have finished. However, the GUI once again showed a 24GB hard disk size. Also, once again, the tmp file showed up.

I think I'm resorting to creating a new 30GB virtual disk, clone from source to destination and delete source.

0 Kudos
Jfer
Contributor
Contributor

WoodyZ, I was wondering if you found something on the attached files.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Jfer
Contributor
Contributor

Tried looking for a *tmp file but there was none. Still experiencing the issue.

0 Kudos