VMware Communities
bgoodz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion5 Win8 Unity & Launchpad Icons

Hello, everything so far running good and trying to get familar with win8.  I tried running in unity to see if I like it or not and have recently discovered that I now have some win icons that installed in Launchpad.  Most of these are not needed and are from installing Win Office 2003 only for Outlook contacts (work related).  Does anyone know how to delete these icons from the  mac launchpad window?   Click and hold does not produce an X for deletion and dragging to the waist basket will not delete either.  The only thing I can find by googleing  is third paryt apps that touts organizing  and or deleting mac launchpad icons.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
avanish321
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Incompatible file type of shortcuts for Windows applications added to Launchpad prevents them from being removed properly.

Try this :

enter unity mode

Launch the applications whose icon  you want to remove .

The icons of those application will appear in dock in unity .

Right click the icon in Dock and choose 'Remove from Launchpad'

Right click an icon in Dock → Options → Show in Finder which will open the current location of the stub file.

Quit Windows application.

Remove stub file from Finder window, empty Trash.

Go to Launchpad, click at the Windows Application icon - it should appear with interrogation mark.

Hold Option key and click at the black cross to remove icon from the Launchpad.

If that does not work

Click on Virtual Machine menu > Settings > Default Applications  > uncheck "Run applications from your Mac's Applications folder."

This will remove all windows apps .

Or use launchpad control   ( google it ) its a free utility to hide apps icons in launchpad.

Cheers! Avanish

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
avanish321
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Incompatible file type of shortcuts for Windows applications added to Launchpad prevents them from being removed properly.

Try this :

enter unity mode

Launch the applications whose icon  you want to remove .

The icons of those application will appear in dock in unity .

Right click the icon in Dock and choose 'Remove from Launchpad'

Right click an icon in Dock → Options → Show in Finder which will open the current location of the stub file.

Quit Windows application.

Remove stub file from Finder window, empty Trash.

Go to Launchpad, click at the Windows Application icon - it should appear with interrogation mark.

Hold Option key and click at the black cross to remove icon from the Launchpad.

If that does not work

Click on Virtual Machine menu > Settings > Default Applications  > uncheck "Run applications from your Mac's Applications folder."

This will remove all windows apps .

Or use launchpad control   ( google it ) its a free utility to hide apps icons in launchpad.

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
bgoodz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you avanish321 for the response and helpful suffestions.  I had already uninstalled the old office 2003 apps that loaded duing installation.  All I needed was Outlook and should have done a custom install and just checked what I needed.  Anyway I followed your second instruction of unchecking within VM-settings-applications and it has uninstalled most of the icons on launchpad.  Also downloaded the launcpad controll app but haven't installed yet.

Man there is something about Fusion5 /Win8/Unity/ Mac Launchpad.  They don't seem to like each other as my ML 10.8.2 has locked up solid three times now while in the VM.  I mean solid, and then the system would not even restart, nothing but a gray screen.  Safe Boot finally worked but couldn't find anything wrong with the HD or Permissions.  Finally (3 times now) unplugged everything, waited 30 seconds. plugged back in and did cmd/option/R&P key hold down on start up and got the system back.  OSX side seemd to work fine  but leery of firing up the Win8 VM as it seems to put everything into tilt mode when switching back and forth to launchpad...just flat locks up and no restart.  Scary, as I don't need to lose the system (everything cloned and backed up though).  Just did the recent Fusion update the other day to keep current, hope that didn't have anything to do with it. Now wishing I never played around with Unity.  The only items left in Lunchpad related to VM Win8 is Quicken Launcher, Outlook, XML Editor & Notepad. 

It appears the lockup happen when running VM Win8 and activation OSX Launchpad.  Also using a Trackpad and wondering if the finger swiping has somehting to do with it.

Thanks for you input and assistance, much appreciated.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I tried the 2nd method on my MBP, it works. see below link for details.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/01/05/remove-apps-from-launchpad/

0 Kudos