VMware Communities
birdog63
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion won't launch after Mavericks Upgrade

I am using Fusion 5 with a recent upgrade to Mavericks.  I am unable to launch Fusion.  Attached are screen shots of the messages I receive when attempting to launch Fusion.  I have changed file/folder permissions showing me as having read-write permissions but nothing changes.  Do these messages suggest that I may need to upgrade to Fusion 6?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
tjsoftworks
Contributor
Contributor

I believe you may have permission issues not directly related to whether Fusion 5 works with Mavericks. I have started a seperate thread that includes the answer to Fusion 5 on Mavericks. Let me know what you figure out.

Permission Issue: Do you have a seperate partition or disk? If so make sure the User you are logged in with has full read/write permissions all the way down to the location of your VM guest files. Get Info ( COMMAND/APPLE I "eye") and check the ownership and permission.

0 Kudos
birdog63
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response.  I finally bit the bullet and uninstalled Fusion completely and reinstalled.  This corrected the issue and the VM seems to be operating correctly.  One thing I noticed was that all the guest files were removed from the fusion install during the upgrade and now they are all located in the Virtual Machines folder on my HDD.  I am still perplexed though that the reinstall placed the files in the "Home directory" "public" folder in a folder named "2012-11-02-013737".  See attached screen shot.  I don't know if there is a way of getting rid of this "shared" folder without having to reinstall Fusion and all the Windows 7 applications.  If you want to comment I would appreciate your thougts.

Thanks againScreen Shot 2014-01-29 at 4.43.05 PM.png

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

To help figure out what is what, the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .zip file (or .tgz file if pre-version 6) it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

Note: Use the "Use advanced editor" link in the upper right corner of the normal reply window to bring up the Advanced Editor where you'll be able to attach files via the Choose File button or Browse button (depending on the Browser) above the Post Message button!

0 Kudos
birdog63
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Woody.  I am not real savvy when it comes to the MAC environment as I am sure you can tell from my discussion entries but I would like to know if my current configuration is normal or if something could be done to make it more streamlined.  The VM seems to be working just fine now but as my recent posting indicated I have concerns that the files are in the right place for a single user.  I am the only one who has an account on this machine although at one time I had an account with a user name but I deleted that account completely yet the "Tom's" listing showed up in the only home folder in the Public folder.

I have attached the file you mentioned.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

0 Kudos