VMware Communities
stephenstark
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion with Windows Vista Home Premium Edition

Has anyone used Fusion running on Leopard with Windows Vista Home Premium (32 bit)? Are there any known compatibility issues with that version versus Vista Business?

Thanks in advance for the feedback...

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Has anyone used Fusion running on Leopard with Windows Vista Home Premium (32 bit)? Are there any known compatibility issues with that version versus Vista Business?

In the US the Retail and OEM versions explicitly and specifically state that Vista Home Basic and Vista Home Premium can not be used in Virtual Environments. Vista Business and Vista Ultimate can be used. As such VMware does not support the use of Vista Home Basic and Vista Home Premium. This does not stop you from running it but I do not believe you will receive support from VMware.

Check with Microsoft for EULA's for your Country / Location.

0 Kudos
stephenstark
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the feedback...sounds like we need to stick with Vista Ultimate.

0 Kudos
LostCreek
Contributor
Contributor

So, it sounds like it will work, just not supported?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

As an update, since the time of Woody's posting, Microsoft reversed their position on Vista Home in a virtual environment, see discussion at . Note that Fusion still doesn't support Vista Home because QA hasn't had a chance to validate it. With the disclaimer that I have not tried it, I would generally expect Vista Home to work because I expect it to be similar to other versions of Vista.

0 Kudos
LostCreek
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply!

I was searching for the best price on MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP HOME FULL WITH SP2! So you saved me some bucks.

I followed the link and it is a go.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

That's slightly off topic, since this thread was about Vista Home, not XP Home. I seem to recall XP's EULA being unclear about virtualization, Vista is the one that explicitly mentions it. XP Home is listed as a guest that Fusion supports.

0 Kudos