VMware Communities
arctelix
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion v8.1 "Boot Camp volume preprocessing failed" for windows 10 partition with OS X 10 El Capitan v10.11.1

The mac was upgraded to el capitan prior to the install of vmware fusion so i don't think any of the upgrade issues should apply.

I‌ have made several attempts to install a windows 10 vm from bootcamp partition and i get the error message:

Boot Camp volume preprocessing failed.

You may not be able to boot your Boot Camp volume as a virtual machine.

I can launch the vm, but the vmware tools/drivers are not installed, so there is limited performance & finctionality.  The bootcamp partition is a clean install of windows 10 with only autocad 2015 installed (autocad works perfectly when i boot to windows 10 directly).

When i attempt to run autocad in the bootcamp vm, i get prompted to allow or deny access, if i "deny all" the app launches but crashes with license error (works in bootcamp).  If i allow all,  i get the following error:

The operation on the file "/dev/rdisk0" failed (Bad file descriptor).

The file system where disk "/dev/rdisk0" resides is full.

Select Retry to attempt the operation again.

Select Cancel to end the session.

If then vmware crashes with the error:

VMware cannot syncronise with the disk "/dev/rdisk0"

The volume may be inconsistant.

I have ran disc utils on the drive and no errors are found.  My disk is 1tb with roughly 300gb bootcamp / 700gb osx with 485gb free, so it's not full.  I have 16gb total ram and 2gb allocated to the bootcamp vm and one of four cores allocated to it.

Each time i attempt to build the vm from the bootcamp partition i delete the vm then remove the directory from , Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/.  The same error occurs on each attempt.

I also manually installed the vmware tools thinking it was a driver issue, but the same results occur.

If i run NAOS i get the following output.  The fact that it "cannot determine which partition has the windows disk" is odd..

Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 1.25.18 PM.png

diskutil list:

Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 1.33.50 PM.png

sudo fdisk /dev/rdisk0: The unknown id seems suspicious here..

Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 1.37.32 PM.png

Let me know if any more info is required and thanks in advance for any help.

2 Replies
manman13
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Welcome to Fusion Forum~

Firstly, suggest to upgrade your OSX to v10.11.3 or later, then retry it.

If this issue issue still can be reproduced, there are some tips about disk repair, VMware KB: Troubleshooting the failed suspend, start up, or snapshot Fusion error: Operation on file....

Hope helpful~

0 Kudos
drewtorres
Contributor
Contributor

I am experiencing the same issue. I have attempted multiple clean reinstalls with the same results. However, when I boot directly to my boot camp partition, this issue is resolved. There has been a suggestion of the issue being related to "the application license manager service is crashing the application." Have you tried looking at that? Did you get your issue resolved? This has been a week long ordeal for me...

0 Kudos