VMware Communities
mnahum
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fusion v12.2.1 no monterey support as guest?

I recently update to Fusion v12.2.1 , on an Intel iMac Pro and I'm really surprise not see yet macOS 12 in the list of "Choose Operating System" and I still cannot just drag and drop my DMG there... I know there is way to generate a working ISO ... but honestly it's almost faster to install Big Sur and Update to monterey ...

Am I missing something?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No it is a real problem.  I made a USB installer and then connected the USB to the VM to get a clean install of Monterey, but I always make a USB installer for macOS.  Hopefully VMware gets a lot better now that they are free from Dell.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Drag/drop the .app, not the DMG.

eyos
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to install macOS Monterey from a cloned macOS Big Sur guest VM. The guest VM still shows up as macOS 11 system, though.

I am looking forward to a native Monterey support in VMware Fusion Pro 12.2.2. Any release date?

0 Kudos
mnahum
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I still having the same error message "Unable to create the installation medium" with the app file :-<

0 Kudos
mnahum
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Except by doing an ISO file, the below method is only one working this days: https://www.alansiu.net/2021/11/22/how-to-install-macos-12-monterey-as-a-vmware-fusion-guest-vm/

0 Kudos
trodemaster
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

it's significantly faster to build an .iso and use that directly than upgrading an existing VM. You can use this script/process to make macOS 12.x iso that works with fusion. 

https://github.com/trodemaster/packer-macOS-11#prerequisite-installer-bits

These isos work for manual installs or you can use the packer process if you need to automate the process. 

Blake

0 Kudos
magrst
Contributor
Contributor

Does anybody know if VMware is going to add official support in Fusion for Monterey as a guest on the Intel Macs? I would like to boot into recovery mode which is not working today to disable System Integrity Protection (SIP) and swap as I don't need that on a dev VM.

0 Kudos
trodemaster
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you boot from the installer .iso for Monterey that gets you recovery mode. Once you disable SIP you can keep the nvram file around and swap it in anytime you want to boot a VM with SIP disabled. 

Yes, that took me a while to sort out...

Blake

magrst
Contributor
Contributor

Great workaround. Thanks!

0 Kudos
AlessandroDN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's really frustrating that Monterey is not officially supported after one year from its release.

Fusion 12 still:

- doesn't list macOS 12 as an option

- can't create a VM from either the recovery partition or the Install macOS app

- doesn't offer an "official" option to use Metal GPU

- doesn't boot in recovery mode (that's broken since even earlier, macOS Big Sur)

And yes, there are "tricks" to fix some of the issues above, but not an official version that cleans things up.

That, unfortunately, tells us what's the status of VMware Fusion today 😞 and it's really sad to say for loyal and longtime users.

I wish things will get better.

Ciao

0 Kudos