VMware Communities
LRussoPhoto1
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion unresponsive after upgrade

After upgrading to Catalina on my iMac my vmfusion was just showing a black screen after a little searching online i decided to install the trial version of fusion v 11. After that install when i tried to open fusion I was getting some sort of error saying I needed to resume fusion so i could shut it down. But evertime I tried to resume I kept getting some sort of broken pipe error. After finding out how to do a force shut down, which I then did, fusion opens and loads windows but is now unresponsive. Widows is loaded, all my apps are then but I cant mouse click on anything. When I try nothing happens.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you allow Fusion to in the MAC's security setting?

See e.g. https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2151770​ for how to do this.

André

0 Kudos
LRussoPhoto1
Contributor
Contributor

Im pretty sure when I installed the upgrade it asked me that and I made the change to my security settings. When I go back there now under the general tab I dont see anything system software from vendor VMware was blocked.

0 Kudos
rachelsunsm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

please try to uninstall Fusion and restart your system.

After the mac system is powered, reinstall Fusion.

0 Kudos
LRussoPhoto1
Contributor
Contributor

Would I then have to reinstall windows?

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Nope, the VM will be unchanged.  Just make sure you remove the app and not the virtual machine.

0 Kudos
LRussoPhoto1
Contributor
Contributor

How do I do that? Go into applications on finder and drag vm fusion to the recycling bin?

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Yes, do that.  Empty trash.  Reboot.  Empty trash again.  Then reinstall.

0 Kudos
LRussoPhoto1
Contributor
Contributor

That did not work, and now this time once inside the virtual machine the mouse was limited to inside that window even though it wasn't working. Another words, the mouse pointer was trapped inside the fusion window and I couldn't move it outside to close fusion or use the mac side. I had to power off and restart.

Now what?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

PMJI.

If the mouse gets trapped in the VM then that's normally a case of VMware Tools not working as advertised.

The best way to resolve that is to reinstall VMware Tools, but you can try a repair install as I believe that nowadays fixes a number of issues as well.

Alternatively you can try the "Reinstall VMware Tools" from the drop down menu.

For a clean re-install you best reboot the guest OS inbetween uninstall and install to make sure that all the files from VMware Tools are in the correct locations and of the correct version.

In short follow these steps:

• Uninstall VMware Tools
  • Reboot guest OS
  • Install VMware Tools
  • Reboot guest OS.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
winner9878
Contributor
Contributor

I just upgraded to 11.5.  After initially getting the black screen I resolved that and now have this problem.  Essentially, Windows 10 loads within Fusion however the mouse does not work for clicking on icons etc.  The software appears to load and run fine otherwise, but the GUI is completely unresponsive and I can;t use it.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Fusion and this did not solve the problem.

0 Kudos
winner9878
Contributor
Contributor

NM I found my solution here:  mouse click

0 Kudos
finleyjamessz
Contributor
Contributor

Can be a good silution

0 Kudos