VMware Communities
NNois
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion support for more than 2 cpu's ?

Hello, like more and more computers now my macpro has 8 cpu's.

Do fusion had planned to do this ?

thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Hello, like more and more computers now my macpro has 8 cpu's.

Do fusion had planned to do this ?

While you may have a Mac Pro with 8 Cores you are atypical compared to the masses. Most Users have lesser systems.

VMware typically does not comment on specifics on what's in the development pipe however I'm sure if there is a viable commercial need to provide that feature they may eventually do so.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I'm not sure if you're planning to run Windows but both XP Pro and Vista support 2 sockets in Boot Camp allowing your MacPro to utilize (but not "maximize") your cores utilization. Once Windows is installed as an SMP-kernel (aka multiprocessor support), then running the Boot Camp partition under VMware Fusion will use the max of two cores to the full extent. Since VMware supports more than 2 virtual processors in their server line product(s), . Disclaimer: I don't work for VMware nor speak for them in any capacity.

0 Kudos
NNois
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply,

Yes I'm planning to run my bootcamp partition XPx64 under Fusion so, (sorry but my skill in english is not perfect) if i understand correctly running xp-x64 smp-kernel under fusion will use the 8 cores (but windows show only 2) ?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Yes I'm planning to run my bootcamp partition XPx64 under Fusion so, (sorry but my skill in english is not perfect) if i understand correctly running xp-x64 smp-kernel under fusion will use the 8 cores (but windows show only 2) ?

No, you do not understand correctly. At the present time VMware Fusion will only use 2 virtual processors regardless of how many more cores beyond 2 you may have! It can only see 2 and use 2 even if you have 8.

VMware supports more than 2 virtual processors in their Server line and Fusion is not a part of their Server line of products. Maybe in the future it will be supported in it's Desktop line which Fusion is a part of.

0 Kudos