VMware Communities
s2xi
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion running out of HDD space warning

Hi, I migrated my Windows 7 installation to my MAC.

The Windows 7 was about 700gb and my HDD on my MAC where I have the Virtual Machine is 750gb

After everything finished (about 1day waiting) Everything was running fine until recently. I noticed that I only have 8.8gb free on the dedicated HDD, when I power on the VM it makes a 4.5gb file leaving me with 4.54gb free.

And now after running Win7 VM I get a warning that I need 12mb free to continue, I press continue bu it pops up again. I can only Power Off or Suspend.

I have no clue why this is happening now, it wasn't a few weeks ago.

I have Snapshots off too, also i did manage to log into my system and delete 24gb of space within the Vm...is there a way for Fusion to recalibrate the filesize of VM to reflect the actual size of its contents?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

It seems a bit ridiculous to create a Virtual Machine that is going to take over 90+% of the Host's hard drive, why even bother? (Rhetorical question!) Smiley Happy

Anyway need some information to make best suggestions based on actual fact's and instead of starting by asking all the questions the best way to help figure out what is what and what to do then the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .tgz file it created on your Desktop.

In addition one thing the we need the answer to that the Collect Support Information command doesn't provide is the amount of free space on the virtual hard drive from within Windows so you need to also provide that too.  If you can't get into Windows for that you can mount the virtual hard drive with VMDKMounter and get the info through Finder.

0 Kudos
s2xi
Contributor
Contributor

hi, sorry first time doing this.

Here is my file,

I can't log into my VM to see how much the actual disk space is for the VM-PC (Win7)

I had two 750gb HDD one that was in my PC and a spare one I thew into my Mac Proand Mrigrated my PC to.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Just to name a few indicators...

Boot ROM Version: MultiBeast.tonymacx86.com

net.osrom.kext.Disabler

org.netkas.FakeSMC

Well you appear to be running a Hackintosh and VMware Fusion is not supported on a Hackintosh and if you weren't running a Hackintosh I'd be able to help you however running a Hackintosh is illegal and to help you with an illegal install would violate the Community Terms of Use.

Your welcome back when you have a problem with VMware Fusion running on a genuine Apple Intel Based Macintosh however until then end of discussion!

0 Kudos
s2xi
Contributor
Contributor

Ya, my MacPro was low in sys memory to run Fusion and I didn't have the money to upgrade so for the time being i loaded up the hdd into a pc while i get up and running. If I manage to reload my hdd back into my Mac Pro and run the same tool to get system settings from Fusion will it re-detect my MacPro settings?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If I manage to reload my hdd back into my Mac Pro and run the same tool to get system settings from Fusion will it re-detect my MacPro settings?

If I understand the question correctly I'd say the answer to this question is yes.

0 Kudos
s2xi
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I'll load my HDD back into my Mac Pro this evening and run the 'Collect Support Information' task again. I won't be able to log into the actual VM as my original problem was the lack of system ram to run my VM smoothly but I hope the Support Information will be enough.

0 Kudos