VMware Communities
systemo
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion player older version

I've registered a user account here to get the free Fusion Player, only to discover that it won't run on my Mac.

I'm currently running MacOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra) but intend to upgrade to 10.14 (Mojave) if using my older 32-bit apps work within 10.14, but neither these work with the current free Fusion Player 13.
Is it possible to "downgrade" my free Fusion Player license for an older version (or simply use the same license with an older version) which is compatible with these OS versions?

And if so -where do I go to download the older versions of Fusion Player? Preferrably one that works with MacOS 10.13 (High Sierra) and onwards, or at least with a minimum of MacOS 10.14 (Mojave).

0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Fusion only had a Player version for v12 and v13, nothing older.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

The host operating system compatibility list for Fusion can be found in KB article https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2088571 . It indicates that Fusion 11.5 is the last version that is compatible with High Sierra or Mojave.

As @scott28tt says, the free license can not be downgraded to Fusion 11 since Fusion 11 did not have a free personal use license option. A downgrade from paid licenses of Fusion 13 to Fusion 12 can be done through the Customer Connect portal. You will have to contact VMware Sales to determine if they will allow you to downgrade a paid Fusion 13 Player license to Fusion 11. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Note that counting on apps running in a Mojave guest is hit or miss.  There's no 3d acceleration, so many won't function properly.

If at all possible, the best option is to upgrade to modern versions of those applications.  You'll have to do that once you move to M1 machines, as there will be no way to run 32-bit intel programs at that point in time.

The other thing to note is that Mojave is no longer supported by Apple - you really want to get to Monterey or Ventura to get critical security fixes.

0 Kudos
systemo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks to all for helpful replies here!

I contacted VMware support and they were kind enough to give me a free Fusion Player 12 license (in addition to the free Fusion Player 13 I already had), so at least now I can use it with MacOS 10.15.

Right now I don't know which MacOS version I'll be ending up with as I have an older Mac and I'm not sure which MacOS version can (without patching etc.) be installed on it, and what will make it run most efficiently.
That, and the fact that I need to figure out which apps run in which OS as well as in a VM (like Fusion Player), so it's a combination of things.
ColoradoMarmot: Are you saying that a lot of newer apps won't run in 10.14 Mojave, or that it's a problematic OS in general?
Most of my day to day apps are old anyway, and I suppose my 64-bit apps that run in MacOS 10.13 (High Sierra) would also work there, but I won't be able to run my 32-bit apps any longer natively. That's where a VM comes in.
What is 3D acceleration for? I'm not into games, animation or high-intesive graphic stuff if that's what it's for.
I need to look into if I can run 10.15 Catalina on my Mac, but that's another discussion.

Back to VMWare support: they replied the same as here regarding Fusion (not Player) 11: that I would have to buy a version 13 license, then downgrade the license to version 11 in order to run it on MacOS 10.13 High Sierra or 10.14 Mojave.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

There are a lot of basic MacOS apps that require the 3d API's to function properly - otherwise you just get a black screen.  Every mac has that API active, so the code expects it, but VM's don't support it.  I know messages and iweb for example both have issues.

The only way to know for sure is to try them.  But honestly, if at all possible, just upgrade to current apps.  The intel stuff is time limited anyway because of the eventual end of support for MacOS on intel machines.

Note that Catalina is no longer supported by Apple either.  I was surprised to see the Big Sur patches yesterday - they do that on occasion, but only commit to making security patches fully available for the current OS release.  N-1 is probably ok, but older than that, well, planning for an update is probably in order.

0 Kudos
Eva2
Contributor
Contributor

How did you contact them? When I try through Customer Connect I'm only being sent in circles by their 'Support Assistent' which does absolutely nothing.

0 Kudos
systemo
Contributor
Contributor

It's been almost a year since this was posted, but I believe I just used the contact link on this page. I can't remember the exact details, but I can't remember being "sent in circles" either.
I suggest you try it again. Hope it works out 😀

0 Kudos