VMware Communities
Daimer77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fusion on Mac OS 10.10?

Hi,

I have just installed OS 10.10 and when I try to open fusion I get a dialog box stating that this version does not work with the current OS. Any suggestions? Are there any fusion betas that I can use? I have fusion 6.0.3 installed.

Best regards,

Hasan Rahman

68 Replies
kvkeerthi
Contributor
Contributor

Parallels works very fine.

0 Kudos
mmarinho
Contributor
Contributor

Haha, was going to try it but the trial key registration during the setup doesn't even work which is a shame since it's been a known issue for a while. I didn't feel like having to post on their forum in order to request a trial key, so I gave up on it.

-Manny

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

> Just curious, how did you get Fusion Tech Preview to work under 10.10? I mean being able to actually open a VM that was previously setup under 6.0.3? I ended up restoring my system back to Mavericks as I need Vmware Fusion to work for production purposes.

I work on Fusion at VMware. So I fixed the problems in the code and I re-built the product Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

sidimamvm,

> which build are you use?

sidimamvm
Contributor
Contributor

You Rock! now it works!

0 Kudos
MGFord
Contributor
Contributor

HPReg wrote:

sidimamvm,

> which build are you use?

Links aren't working for me - are these still up?

0 Kudos
Chumstick
Contributor
Contributor

I think those are VMWare internal links for developers of VMW only.

0 Kudos
kvkeerthi
Contributor
Contributor

Can you guys make it available for public pl. So that we can rock too.

0 Kudos
sidimamvm
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry guys, but these are only internal build. Stay tuned for new public release.

mmarinho
Contributor
Contributor

So we must wait until the Tech Preview is updated I'm assuming?

-Manny

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

> So we must wait until the Tech Preview is updated I'm assuming?

Yes. Sorry. We are working as fast as possible.

0 Kudos
kvkeerthi
Contributor
Contributor

any update pl

0 Kudos
sgtsak
Contributor
Contributor

Do we have a timeline when the fix will be released? If it is only a few days I will hold out, otherwise I have to roll back.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

If Fusion support is something folks need critically, they probably should consider rolling back.  10.10 is an alpha release of an operating system, and each developer preview release may break many products along the way.  Apple recommends that 10.10 be installed only on non-critical/non-primary machines.  Dual boot is a great option that doesn't put you in the crosshairs of early development bugs.

0 Kudos
Chumstick
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah this has been pointed out several times already, and no one seems to notice it.

0 Kudos
sgtsak
Contributor
Contributor

I noticed, I just asked a simple question. Earlier in the thread one of the VM developers posted a fix which was then removed. Considering I have to not only test but also develop with this machine to see what breaks and then report it to my user group, it was a fair question to ask. It is also a test to see how responsive the development team at VMWare is to operating system changes that break their software. Since my user group has about 22k users in it, it is good information to know.

If I roll back, I report it, if I don't have to and we can continue our testing and development with the new platform to see what changes we need to make to our programs.

Cheers

SgtSak

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi sgtsak!

We don't disclose release timelines because there are too many variables at play.  What happens if a supported OS releases an update with severe consequences just hours before our update is due to be released?  We will probably end up holding back our update to try to address last-minute guest/host OS changes.  Sometimes an update or release needs to be held back several times in succession, for many days or maybe even weeks, since we have a large number of supported host OSes and guest OSes to deal with and complex problems to solve.  If we've promised a timeframe for our update, our customers get very angry at us for lying to them.

We have a fix available internally, which was discussed here between two developers (with a link to a private internal resource posted), but the fixed version of Fusion has never been made available publicly and will not be made available until it goes through the necessary quality assurance and release process.

We'll work on getting the release out soon, but we truly can't give a timeline or even an estimate.  I know you and others want this to work, and so do we, so I hope it won't be too far away.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
Peakster
Contributor
Contributor

I would love to help beta test the working version!

I have a windows vm I am just dabbling in some .net technologies (while on holiday so its not real work) - this is an inconvenience for me (fusion not working) but not a problem - I will not roll back to Mavericks.

I would not care in the slightest if os x or the vm are corrupted - I have everything backed up.

0 Kudos
sgtsak
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Darius,

I do appreciate the feedback and I hope the resolution is posted quickly. I have another Mac to use but had hoped to do some testing with the interaction between VMWare and some other software we use regularly.

Please keep us posted.

Cheers,

Phil

0 Kudos
MickeyP
Contributor
Contributor

I guess the frustration for us is that there's a check that says whether or not you'll *allow* Fusion to run on a version of OS.

If we're running Beta (not Alpha btw) OSX, we already know the risks.   We really don't need a vendor telling us that it isn't supported.  We *know* the rules.... we're developers.

The frustration is that an issue that may impact some may not impact others and we can all put our big boy and girl panties on and deal with crashes.   Its when some middle manager decides for us that we're not allowed to crash a system that we get annoyed.

Just release what you have and let it blow up on us.   We're already *expecting* that to happen.

0 Kudos