VMware Communities
dt949
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion not showing as a 64-bit application on Mac

I was running Fusion 2.0.6 with Windows 7 32-bit on a MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard 10.6.1 installed. Last night I upgraded to Fusion 3.0.1 with no problems, even the tools seemed to install without an issue (I did not have to uninstall the previous version). After using Fusion 3 for a hour or so I did notice that I was able to run a program that I could not in version 2.x (my.movies plugin to Windows Media Center video player) and also everything seemed a little faster. Then I remembered that Fusion 3.x was a 64-bit application so on the Mac I looked at the applications that are running where it says if it is 32 or 64 bit and VMware Fusion did NOT say 64-bit (I am new to the Mac so I don't remember the application/area names just yet).

Anyways, would Fusion 3.x only be running in 64-bit mode if it was running a 64-bit program (i.e. Windows 7 64-bit) or should it always be 64-bit?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The UI is not 64-bit, but the UI also doesn't do any real work and doesn't really matter what bitness it is. vmware-vmx(-debug) does the real work, is 64-bit, and is not shown in Activity Monitor by default.

0 Kudos
minette
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, I am not sure it does NOT matter.

Can someone from VMware please comment and tell us when the ENTIRE application will be 64-bit?

Thanks.

UPDATE: Found an answer in thsi thread: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1484996#1484996

Not that I am fully convinced anyway... Smiley Happy

Message was edited by: minette

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Can someone from VMware please comment and tell us when the ENTIRE application will be 64-bit?

etung is from VMware and as to if/when Fusion will be full 64-bit, it is against VMware Policy to comment on unannounced features, timelines, etc.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

As etung mentioned VMware Fusion in activity monitor is just the interface that launches and can make changes to the virtaul machine settings, the vmware-vmx is the actual virtual machine running.

0 Kudos