VMware Communities
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Fusion networking very robust so far

Just a comment that I've run my VMs through being disconnected to connected on Ethernet, 802.11, USB Modem tethered to a Palm Treo 700w and untethered via Bluetooth connection to the same Palm Treo 700w.

The VM never loses connectivity to the Host or to what the Host is connected to.

I'm going to build a Windows guest now so I can run VMware Tools and test the throughput of the virtual vmxnet and e1000 drivers. I have data to compare it to with Parallels. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
6 Replies
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I have data to compare it to with Parallels.

I is a bit too early to do any serious and meaningful performance comparison, because you are not comparing Apple to Apple (pun intended):

o The current Fusion private beta only uses NAT mode, not the more efficient bridge mode.

o Beta code has plenty of internal consistency assert checks enabled, which slows the code a lot. Expect to final release to be a lot faster.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

This is mostly out of curiosity for me. In beta testing VM Server before I realize the differences between Debug and GA quality code.

Even in Parallels, I actually bridge to the host via the Host-only mode so my VM's IP doesn't change. Parallels doesn't have NAT.

For Guest networking, I don't expect "wire" speeds which is in my case, most of the time is usually limited to the speed of 802.11.

0 Kudos
flavia_pb
Contributor
Contributor

I agree. I'm wirelessly networked and it's worked perfect right out of the box. No need for config. No dropped conn. Parallels is getting the boot

0 Kudos
amr_malik
Contributor
Contributor

I must be doing something wrong. I downloaded the Human Genome VM from VMTN and for the life of me cannot connect to it from the host.

The machine, when it boots BSD advertises the IP on which to connect to it, but I can't seem to ping that address or see it from host ..

How does one find out the VM's advertised IP ?

ifconfig /all on the host side?

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

>The machine, when it boots BSD advertises the IP on which to connect to it, but I can't seem to ping that address or see it from host ..

Are you using bridged networking? If so, have you had a chance to peruse the Fusion Release Notes ? There's a known issue with host-to-guest networking described in this build.

>How does one find out the VM's advertised IP ?

Generally you go into the VM and query its IP directly

>ifconfig /all on the host side?

The comand is ifconfig -a and this only returns host interface addresses.

0 Kudos
amr_malik
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I meant ifconfig -a (half of my brain is in windoze world I think)

Well, the ip that the VM claims to have I can't ping from the host side. I tried both NAT and Bridged, not a big deal. I will check out the doc you mentioned.

On my RHEL4, it seems to work fine through NAT, i think that particular VM publisher forgot to mention a teeny config detail probably.

0 Kudos