VMware Communities
Carlos_H
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion making my leopard crash after getting back from sleep

I was working on my Windows XP VM, and closed the lid. After a while I came back, an opened it. My surprise was that my computer screen was mess up. I could move my mouse, everything was garbled. I tried using commandoptionesc, but no answer, as if the keyboard was stuck. I then restarted my machine, and everything was fine. I have put my machine to sleep a lot of times, with no problem at all. I have a new mbpro, with lots of ram, so I dont know if this is a problem related to my machine, or it is a VMWare Fusion issue. Anyone had this isse before?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Try this next time: close any exporer windows in the Windows VM before putting the host to sleep. I recently had this happen to me on a Vista VM (MBP, Fusion 1.1.1) and it sometimes happens on my Win2k VMs running on Workstation6. The common thing for me is that the VMs freeze when Explorer is left open on a network share. Windows' networking somehow is confused waking from sleep and will hang the OS while it's trying to reconnect to the share. (That's my theory.) In a VM, this makes the host OS unresponsive, probably because the VMs are using bridged networking(?) So because of my experience with other VMs, I normally don't put my host to sleep, but I forgot that I had the Vista VM running this time.

Carlos_H
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your response, I have succesfully sent my computer to sleep with vm running, but not being the current application. I havent had any issues, I also closed anything that might open a network connection on the vm. Will continue to make more tests and see if this is really the solution.

0 Kudos
noleli
Contributor
Contributor

I have this same issue, and what I suspect is happening is that the Safe Sleep image (/var/vm/sleepimage) is getting corrupted. I'm not sure why this would affect waking from sleep after only a short time, but turning off safe sleep, deleting the image, and turning safe sleep back on (Google for more info on how to do that).