VMware Communities
mcvickj
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion keeping Mac awake when closing the lid

I recently upgraded to a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports) with macOS Catalina 10.15.8 that is running VMware Fusion Pro 11.5.5 and a Windows 10 Enterprise VM.  I noticed that if I leave my VM running and close my lid when I return to work the following morning my laptop is a little warm and my battery life is somewhere around 20-25% remaning.

My prior laptop is a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports) with macOS Catalina 10.15.5 that is running the same version of VMware Fusion Pro 11.5.5 and I can keep my VM running and close the lid but it doesn't drain my battery.  The following day I come into the office and the battery might have dropped 3-5 percent.

I have looked at all of my settings and they both appear to be the same.  Has anyone else noticed this behavior?  Is there some kind of fix or work around?  Two others in my office upgraded to the same MacBook and they are seeing the same behavior so I know it is not just me.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Issues like this one are tricky in my experience.

Random thought tho... Does the issue persist if you:

- Disable Wake on LAN within Windows?

- Disable Auto-Updates

Otherwise, do you have any security software in the VM?

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

One more to check is 'allow bluetooth devices to wake this mac'.  My cat walked across the keyboard one night, turned on the machine in my backpack, and nearly melted it down!

0 Kudos