VMware Communities
spambad
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion is eating up all my hard drive space

I'm a newbie so please bear with me.

I have been running Fusion for some time now and originally allocated 50GB of HD space for WinXP. After some time now, I've noticed that the HD space on my Mac (Leopard) keeps growing >100GB now. I have 1 file called XP.vmwarevm but after downloading a utility called vdiskmanager, I noticed that under this file, I have 8 additional files:

564db12....vmem

564db12...vmem.lck(dir) -> M38073.lck -

Black

Applications (dir) -> Various Apps -

Black

vmware-0.og

vmware-1.log

vmware-2.log

vmware.log

XP-000001.vmdk ---Black 49.6GB

XP-000002,vmdk --- Black 26.6GB

XP-Snapshot15.vmem

XP-Smapshot15.vmsn

XP.nvram

XP.vmdk -

Black 22.4GB

XP.vmem

XP.vmsd

XP.vmss

XP.vmx

XP.vmxf

All the other files are grayed out.

The other thing is that I can only view these files using this tool. I can't get to these files whatsoever using the Mac Filemgr or via terminal. There is a utility to defrag the vm but unfortunately I don't have enough space to do this. I've copied all the XP files and I'm about to start the Image again from scratch but I would appreciate it if anyone could give me some pointers so I can avoid this in the future or better yet fix this vm image.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
gently
Contributor
Contributor

Me too ... someone please help.

Roger.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

vdiskmanager GUI is just a wrapper, the actual utility is vmware-vdiskmanager and comes with Fusion. You can get to these files in the Finder by following the instructions in . Terminal should have no problem seeing them. The ones that are black are the virtual disk files, which is what vdiskmanager is intended to deal with (which is why you can't select any of the others).

The reason the virtual machine is taking up more space than the maximum is because of the snapshot. I'm currently working on a document which will explain how this works in more detail, but if you have about 20 GB free space on that disk, you should be able to regain space by discarding the snapshot. Running Tools' Shrink process after that may also help.

0 Kudos
DavidSalahi
Contributor
Contributor

My disk space usage has gone from 60GB to 86GB in just one month of using Fusion. I have taken a few snapshots but that's not the only reason the disk usage has increased. I've noticed that it's been increasing gradually every day. Is there any way to avoid that or reverse it? Will using the Shrink utility by itself do any good? Do I need to delete my snapshots also?

Fusion is not going to be useable if its disk space usage increases by 50% every month.

David Salahi

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Check inside the guest for anything doing disk access, for example a defragmenter.

0 Kudos