VMware Communities
smog57
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion / install XP pro hang during format

Hi folks

I have installed the demo version of fusion on a new Macbok pro (2.5 ghz / 2gb ) and have started adding my first vm - xp pro. Using easy install, specified 25gb, did not split into 2gb sections.

I may have goofed at outset - used an upgrade disc. TheXP install window told me this and asked me to insert another disc. did this and it seemed to move on ok. However it has now been stopped for about an hour, showing:

XP Pro setup

Please wait while setup formats the partition (gives size detail)

Set up is formatting - 20%

Its going nowhere - and I really don't know what to do next! Help please!

Thanks in anticipation

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I'd try not using the easy install - I don't think it's meant to work with upgrade disks.

0 Kudos
smog57
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks etung,

When I got the first message, I removed the upgrade disc and subsituted a full disc. It then made some progress before hanging as described in my opening post.

Problem is I now have a partial install. the only option on this window is to suspend, which won't help. Should I just close fusion and start again? Or will that screw things up more?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Problem is I now have a partial install. the only option on this window is to suspend, which won't help. Should I just close fusion and start again? Or will that screw things up more?

On the VMware Fusion menu bar select Virtual Machine while holding down the alt/option key and click Power Off (Shut Down Guest changes to Power Off).

You can then retry installing the OS or delete the Virtual Machine first and start fresh using the New Virtual Machine Assistant.

To Delete the existing Virtual Machine...

VMware Fusion menu bar > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Running VMware Fusion and Virtual Machines > Deleting a Virtual Machine

0 Kudos
smog57
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Woody

Exited ok, and ran perfectly next time...

Now busy updating xp

Its great to have support like this around. Thanks again

0 Kudos