VMware Communities
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion hangs Mac OS X after closing Bootcamp VM with VS.NET

The first few times I ran my Vista Bootcamp VM, Fusion shutdown without a problem when I selected Shutdown in the Vista VM. The last few times I've run VS.NET in my VM session, Fusion shuts down the VM without a problem but, after pressing CMD+Q to quit Fusion after the VM window shows the big play button, OS X appears to hang.

I can launch new apps via Quicksilver, but they never really start up. For example, I launched Activity Monitor hoping to kill the VMWare process, but the UI never filled itself with data for the current processes.

When I try shutting down OS X via the menu bar, I get the shutdown dialog but clicking any of the buttons has no effect. So I force a reboot via the power button.

Next time through, OS X starts without a problem, Bootcamp starts after warning me of a dirty shutdown (so you are miles ahead of Parallels there), but I get the same behavior whenever I shutdown my Vista Bootcamp VM. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Is there any kind of log file I can send?

0 Kudos
26 Replies
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

I got the file from C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\VMware.

Do you know where I should look for dumps generated by the BSOD during shutdown? As always, thanks.

I guess I should open a support request, ey? Too bad I have to pay $25 without really knowing whether they can do anything for me.

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

Do you know where I should look for dumps generated

by the BSOD during shutdown? As always, thanks.

It should be 'C:\Windows\Memory.dmp'...may be 'C:\Winnt\Memory.dmp' since I don't know off the top of my head what Vista uses...

Ciao, Andreas

0 Kudos
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

Schnikes! That one is 34.8 MB zipped.

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

Schnikes! That one is 34.8 MB zipped.

Whoopss...okay....that is an argument... Smiley Wink

Ciao, Andreas

0 Kudos
mosborne76
Contributor
Contributor

Old thread but wan to revive it - I'm experiencing this bugcode_usb_driver blue screen each time i shut down vista through fusion. Does anyone know if fusion corrupts or causes issue with boot camp drivers for when I go the boot camp route?

Did anyone figure out a fix for the Bugcode issue?

Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

Nope, no progress made; in fact, the problem seems to happen pretty regularly. I have seen no ill effects in boot camp.

0 Kudos
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

Thankfully, this has stopped happening entirely.

0 Kudos