VMware Communities
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion hangs Mac OS X after closing Bootcamp VM with VS.NET

The first few times I ran my Vista Bootcamp VM, Fusion shutdown without a problem when I selected Shutdown in the Vista VM. The last few times I've run VS.NET in my VM session, Fusion shuts down the VM without a problem but, after pressing CMD+Q to quit Fusion after the VM window shows the big play button, OS X appears to hang.

I can launch new apps via Quicksilver, but they never really start up. For example, I launched Activity Monitor hoping to kill the VMWare process, but the UI never filled itself with data for the current processes.

When I try shutting down OS X via the menu bar, I get the shutdown dialog but clicking any of the buttons has no effect. So I force a reboot via the power button.

Next time through, OS X starts without a problem, Bootcamp starts after warning me of a dirty shutdown (so you are miles ahead of Parallels there), but I get the same behavior whenever I shutdown my Vista Bootcamp VM. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Is there any kind of log file I can send?

0 Kudos
26 Replies
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

I take it this has not been seen before.

0 Kudos
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

Strike that observation. The Vienna app was hanging my OS X.

Now when I shutdown Vista from inside the Bootcamped, I never actually get to the play button on the VM. Vista runs by its shutdown screen, the VM window goes black, then I get a Stop Error with the following message:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.

BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardare or softtware manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memore options such as caching or shadowning. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

\*** STOP: 0x000000FE (0x00000008, 0x00000006, 0x00000009, 0x84A7B5CC)

Collecting data for crash dump ...

Initializing disk for crash dump ...

Beginning dump of physical memory.

Dumping physical memory to disk: 45

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

Well....Fusion currently provides only experimental support of Vista Boot Camp partitions however, this was mainly due to the reactivation issues.

Maybe you should file a support request[/url].

Ciao, Andreas

0 Kudos
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

Submitted. Even using the Shutdown item in the Fusion menu yielded the same USB error. Thankfully, the untidy shutdown does not corrupt the Bootcamp side, which is more than I can say for Parallels.

And thanks for deleting my double-post.

0 Kudos
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

I opened a support request, but I never heard anything. Now that Fusion has been released, I started seeing this stop error in the Gold release.

Anybody else experience anything similar?

0 Kudos
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do you have any USB devices connected?

0 Kudos
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

None. And I did not change the USB settings in the VM configuration. I'm running a MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz SR Core2Duo.

Do you know where I would look for log info generated by this error? I would be eager to share it.

Also, thanks for responding to my reply. This is precisely why I prefer Fusion over Parallels.

0 Kudos
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you post the .vmx and the vmware.log files from the Virtual Machine? You will need to right click on the Virtual Machine and do a "show package contents" to view these files.

The Virtual Machines are stored by default in /Users//Documents/Virtual Machines

flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

Interestingly, I don't have a \Documents\Virtual Machines directory. How can I find out where it is saved?

0 Kudos
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

I found it under /users/david/library/application support/virtual machines/boot camp/%2Fdev%2Fdisk0. Could this be part of the reason I'm having this problem to begin with?

0 Kudos
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

I also found a bunch of Crash Dump Files in C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\VMware. They're all about a meg.

0 Kudos
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

Did those files help? Want more?

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

Did those files help? Want more?

Well...first of all, I am probably not the perfect candidate for analyzing the log file since there are many things in there that I do not fully know. However, looking at the one you provided, I would actually say that Fusion seems to work okay...it shutdown the virtual machine and then exits without any error code (at least if I can trust the shown error code Smiley Wink ).

You said, you never get back to the powered off screen?

I guess, the content of the crash files you mentioned were probably interesting...may be you can zip one up...this usually reduces the size by some magnitude...at least if there are a lot of redundant information...

Ciao, Andreas

0 Kudos
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

Now I'm only getting the USB Stop error 50% of the time, though I still have never attached a USB device to my MBP while running Fusion.

As for error codes in the log, I found the "VMX exit (0)" interesting too. When I shutdown my bootcamped Vista, it shows the "colorful" shutdown screen all the way until the display powers off. When I watch my VM based on that same partition shutdown, it shows an empty, black screen for a least a few seconds after the shutdown screen. If I am lucky, I get Fusion's big "play" button after 5 seconds. If I am not lucky, I get the attached BSOD after 10 or 15 seconds of the empty, black screen. Then it restarts Vista.

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

Do you happen to have the crash dump?

Ciao, Andreas

flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

Interestingly, there is no crash dump generated for the time of the screenshot. I've zipped up the next crash dump and attached it to this post.

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

Interestingly, there is no crash dump generated for

the time of the screenshot. I've zipped up the next

crash dump and attached it to this post.

Well...from what I can see, the Fusion user process seems to have had an exception (VMwareUser+0x1c943)...may be something the engineers from VMware want to take a look at (since I am missing major parts in order to debug further).

Ciao, Andreas

0 Kudos
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

Wow! How are you debugging this stuff? Are there tools available to all Fusion users?

Does it appear to have anything to do with a USB stop error? Did the error happen during shutdown?

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

Wow! How are you debugging this stuff? Are there

tools available to all Fusion users?

Well...crash dump files can be analyzed using a debugger...in this case, I simply looked at it with WinDbg. However, it usually requires a little bit more than just the simple dump file that is why I can't say much more other than the above (and because I did not spent more than 5 minutes on it Smiley Wink ).

Does it appear to have anything to do with a USB stop

error? Did the error happen during shutdown?

That, I cannot see from only the dump....it only contains crash information such as stack values, memory values, register values and so on.

Where did you get this dump file though? Was it the crash dump generated by the blue screen? Or on the orther you mentioned earlier ('C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\VMware')?

Ciao, Andreas

0 Kudos