tsdev1
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion file share locks up guest and host

I have Fusion

Professional Version 12.2.1 (18811640)

running on an iMac Pro with 32 gig of ram and

3.2 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon processor.

I have multiple windows 11 vms and file sharing has been a bit hit or miss (logoff and on you have to reestablish it) but that is fine. Recently I bought a mycloudex NAS and attached to the network. One vm connects to this without issue and works where a second vm (each time I enable the share and try to access a file or open say quickbooks) it locks up both the guest and hangs the host. It immediately frees up the lock as I keep clicking the minus to remove the share so its for sure related to the share. 

On the same vm, I connected to my old nas (which is still on the network) and this operates totally fine. 

The only difference between the working vm with the new nas and the non-working is that I'm running Norton family and quickbooks. Each time I try to open quickbooks it hangs but it also hangs if I go to a file on that nas and try to open it. 

I'm not sure what to do other than to try and rebuild the guest vm with the hopes that it somehow works ahead but figured I'd post to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks in advance - TS

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

My guess is that norton is trying to scan the entire NAS.  Have you tried disabling it to test?

0 Kudos
tsdev1
Contributor
Contributor

yea, I was thinking that also and disabled it but still the same result. I'm in the middle of building a new vm. So far I just added Norton and office.. shared folder is working ok with new nas without issue.. The base vm I cloned from already has office running on it and chrome.

Now installing quickbooks to see if this is somehow the issue..

Only thing after this is outlook setup to multiple mail accounts but imagine that wouldn't be in play as the issue here.

0 Kudos
tsdev1
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue after installing quickbooks.. I can point the vm to the old nas and it works without issue so its strange.. something with how the share works pointing to the new nas after installing quickbooks hangs the share guest and host.

0 Kudos
tsdev1
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Fusion had an update as well as my Mac. Now at night if I leave the guests open and the iMac goes to sleep the next day the guests are up but you cannot click into them or use them - totally frozen.

I really thought this would work using fusion running windows (have been trying for years with just ongoing trouble). My iMac Pro is pretty powerful and not old so all of these networking, video, sharing, weird snapshots that didn't work, and now freezing issues are just too much. I was about to upgrade the Mac but think I'll be going back to a windows host and vmworkstation.

Good luck to anyone else trying to do the same - the product is getting worse

0 Kudos