VMware Communities
iGreg
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion fails to prepare Bootcamp

I tried to use Fusion with Bootcamp. What a mess. Fusion said the preparation of Bootcamp partition failed. Then it tried to launch Windows XP Home anyway and failed to install VM Tools. The Windows froze up. I could not trust my Boot Camp partition anymore after this disaster and uninstalled Fusion and removed the Bootcamp partition from my drive. I am back at square one after hours of setting up Boot Camp the way I wanted too. Now my venture into Fusion usage is on hold until I find out what went wrong.

I may return to Parallels.

iMac, Intel, 2 GHz, OS 10.5.6, 2 GB RAM.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry you had problems with Fusion but what I don't understand is why you would take the time to come tell us that you had problems and might go back to Parallels without asking for some help in this Forum earlier like when you first encountered the problem? If you're willing to give it another try I'm sure you would find some good help in this Forum to try and find a solution to any problems. Did you try with the latest version of Fusion?

0 Kudos
iGreg
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it is the latest version of Fusion. This was my first attempt at using Fusion, the install was messed up, whereas with Parallels in the past it was a breeze to install and use. This isn't a matter of just using Fusion, but getting it with its tools to actually install.

0 Kudos
iGreg
Contributor
Contributor

iMac, 2 GHz, OS 10.5.1, 2 GB RAM.

I forgot to mention, that after the botched attempt to import Boot Camp, I also lost my Airport internet connection and had to input my name and password and rejoin the network.

0 Kudos
iGreg
Contributor
Contributor

Apparently, nobody has any suggestions.

iMac, Intel, 2 GHz, OS 10.5.1, 2 GB RAM.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

You never really said why the original Boot Camp was hosed, other than the VM crashed while installing the VMware Tools. If Boot Camp boots, and chkdsk is fine, what's the worry? That's the past - if you have a clean Boot Camp now, first thing to do before exposing it to Parallels or VMware is make a backup with the freeware WinClone. Then no matter how "disastrous" it gets you just restore Boot Camp within minutes.

Next I would put only one set of Tools in the Boot Camp partition at a time, either VMware or Parallels and of course don't activate until something is working in native Boot Camp and the VM, and after the Tools are installed. Each product's Tools don't conflict but you seem to be concerned about side-effects so this is an easy one to avoid. If your Boot Camp preprocessing fails what's the exact error message? The log file is in ~/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Helper/naos-1.0.vmwarevm/vmware.log. You could try posting the Helper VM log file as an attachment.

0 Kudos