VMware Communities
zwi
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion fails on Boot Camp Win XP

Hi,

Today I bought (well my company bought) VMWare Fusion 1.1.1 for the sole purpose of being able to use my Boot Camp Win XP through my Mac OS X Leopard. I had read on the product description that this is readily possible with Fusion, so I convinced myself (and my boss) that Fusion was the way to go. I had used VMWare Server on my WinXP-Ubuntu dual-boot laptop before and had been very satisfied by the fact that I was able to use my Ubuntu partition through VMWare.

I cannot tell how dissappointed I am now with the product. Whenever I try booting the XP, I get the blue screen complaining:

"Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:

• STOP: 0x0000007B (0x0F898B524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000 )"

When I try booting Win XP in safe mode, I see that the crash happens right after giveio.sys is seen to be loading.

I would really appreciate to learn if there is a solution to this problem.

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
43 Replies
HastaLaVista
Contributor
Contributor

I tried the reg update from the MS KB link above and it still didn't work.

0 Kudos
db32
Contributor
Contributor

Did you make sure all of the files it mentions are in the correct place? I did this with a slipstreamed XP SP3 disk. I had to go back and copy a few of those files into their appropriate locations before the registry change had any effect.

0 Kudos
HastaLaVista
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I forgot to followup out here, I found my answer in this thread:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/944008

It was a mix of the Microsoft KB article (apply the Registry settings) and make sure the intel drivers were in the drivers folder.

I've been running XP in fusion for the better part of the afternoon, it's great when its working Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
mirateck
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I forgot to followup out here, I found my answer in this thread:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/944008

It was a mix of the Microsoft KB article (apply the Registry settings) and make sure the intel drivers were in the drivers folder.

I've been running XP in fusion for the better part of the afternoon, it's great when its working Smiley Wink

thanks for that info. that seemed to do the trick.

its a shame that this problem has been around for months without a formal fix from VMWare - i will definitely hesitate before investing in another of their products.

0 Kudos