VMware Communities
zwi
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion fails on Boot Camp Win XP

Hi,

Today I bought (well my company bought) VMWare Fusion 1.1.1 for the sole purpose of being able to use my Boot Camp Win XP through my Mac OS X Leopard. I had read on the product description that this is readily possible with Fusion, so I convinced myself (and my boss) that Fusion was the way to go. I had used VMWare Server on my WinXP-Ubuntu dual-boot laptop before and had been very satisfied by the fact that I was able to use my Ubuntu partition through VMWare.

I cannot tell how dissappointed I am now with the product. Whenever I try booting the XP, I get the blue screen complaining:

"Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:

• STOP: 0x0000007B (0x0F898B524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000 )"

When I try booting Win XP in safe mode, I see that the crash happens right after giveio.sys is seen to be loading.

I would really appreciate to learn if there is a solution to this problem.

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
43 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Today I bought (well my company bought) VMWare Fusion 1.1.1 for the sole purpose of being able to use my Boot Camp Win XP through my Mac OS X Leopard. I had read on the product description that this is readily possible with Fusion, so I convinced myself (and my boss) that Fusion was the way to go. I had used VMWare Server on my WinXP-Ubuntu dual-boot laptop before and had been very satisfied by the fact that I was able to use my Ubuntu partition through VMWare.

I cannot tell how dissappointed I am now with the product. Whenever I try booting the XP, I get the blue screen complaining:

"Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:

STOP: 0x0000007B (0x0F898B524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000 )"

When I try booting Win XP in safe mode, I see that the crash happens right after giveio.sys is seen to be loading.

I'm sorry you're having problems creating Virtual Machine from your Boot Camp partition and while I do not have a specific answer to your issue it may be helpful if you would read the following and provide some additional information that may help someone to offer other suggestions. Have a look at: "To help us help you more quickly, please read first."

Additionally I would boot the Boot Camp partition natively and have a look at the Event Logs which may offer some addition information to help you troubleshoot the issue. Not to disappoint you further but STOP 7B BSOD's can be extremely difficult and painstaking to troubleshoot sitting in front of the system so trying to do it through a message board can be even more exacerbating.

Also just because "giveio.sys" was the last output on the screen it doesn't necessarily mean that the issue is with it as it could be with what loads after that and it was unable to output info to the screen before is BSODed. Although a Google of "giveio.sys" was interesting in that that lots of people have had issues with it so I'd be looking at it first.

It may behoove you to search the Microsoft KB for info on how to troubleshoot this issue and I'd use "STOP 0x0000007B Windows XP" (without quotes) as a search string.

Additionally you may want to include a screenshot of the BSOD as there may be additional information other than "STOP: 0x0000007B (0x0F898B524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)" which you may have omitted.

Last I just have to say this, because it needs to be said, VMware offers Free 30 Day Trial License for Fusion so if you just went and bought it and immediately ran into this issue without first taking advantage of a Free 30 Day Trial to see if this product was right for you and was non-problematic for how you intended to use it well... you should be more disappointed with yourself then Fusion for not trying before you buy!

0 Kudos
zwi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Woody,

Thanks for your amazingly quick reply. Your response came right in the middle of me writing this message. Here it goes as I was writing it, but I will collect the further information you asked for and add them too.

-

I forgot to give some details about my system. I have Windows XP Pro SP2 and Leopard 10.5.2. On both systems all the updates have been done. The machine is a 2.2GHz black Macbook with 2GB memory, 160 GB harddrive (32GB for the XP partition), GMA X3100 graphics card, HL-DT-ST DVDRW drive with GSA-S10N firmware. The version of Fusion I have is 1.1.1 (72241).

I have google'd for giveio.sys and based on what I saw, I tried turning on and off various peripherals from the settings of the virtual machine. It did not help.

-

PS: I am obviously disappointed with

myself and the trust I put on the product and the trust that I put on

my own abilities. When I was using earlier VMware products, I had

encountered problems too, but each time I was able to fix it myself,

just google'ing, or tweaking the guest OS (which always happened to be

a Linux/Unix derivative) here or there. So you can be sure that I am

totally disappointed with myself. Please take the somewhat negative

tone of my first message as an emotional indication of that

disappointment.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I have google'd for giveio.sys and based on what I saw, I tried turning on and off various peripherals from the settings of the virtual machine. It did not help.

Although in general limiting the hardware configuration whether physical or virtual is a valid and often used troubleshooting method in this case I would be looking more at the Event Logs and what I can modify in reference to what I find there as well as what on the system is using "giveio.sys" and temporarily disable/remove it from loading and this needs to be done from a native boot of the Boot Camp partition and not the Virtual Machine of the Boot Camp partition.

0 Kudos
zwi
Contributor
Contributor

Additionally you may want to include a screenshot of the BSOD as there

may be additional information other than "STOP: 0x0000007B

(0x0F898B524, 0xC0000034,> 0x00000000, 0x00000000)" which you

may have omitted.

The screenshot of the BSOD is exactly the same as the ones seen in the following thread that I found:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/682895

I have looked at the solution there, but the files mentioned were in fact in the Windows\system32\drivers directory. The registry entries had also been created properly. So the solution did not work.

The event log in XP does not show anything suspicious. One thing though, it reports about the F-Secure Internet Security. I am wondering if that could have tried installing itself as early in the boot process as possible to detect attacks?

PS: I have installed XP SP2 from a slipstream CD.

PS2: I have attached the vmware.log

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

After reviewing the contents of the vmware.log I can see a few entries in the Configuration section that are definitely not what should be if the Boot Camp partition processing for the Virtual Machine of the Boot Camp partition was successful.

You need to try the following...

Follow these steps to rebuild the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine...

Highlight the Boot Camp partition entry in the Virtual Machine Library window and then press the delete key.

Next close Fusion (From the VMware Fusion menu bar not just closing the Virtual Machine Library window)

Next delete the "/Users/$/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp" Folder.

Reboot your Computer.

Start Fusion and the Boot Camp partition entry on the Virtual Machine Library window should reappear, highlight it and click Run.

Note: If Boot Camp partition entry does not appear on the Virtual Machine Library window after a minute or so then close Fusion and reopen Fusion. It should now appear at the bottom of the list.

Next an Authenticate dialog box appears. "VMware Fusion requires that you type your password." Enter your Name and Password then click OK. (This is necessary to unmount the Boot Camp partition for Fusion to have direct access to it.)

Next you should see a Boot Camp partition message stating "VMware Fusion is preparing your Boot Camp partition to run as a virtual machine. This may take a few minutes. This will happen once."

When the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine boots for the first time after this VMware Tools will install/update and reboot the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine.

0 Kudos
zwi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I performed all the steps. Everything went fine, but the problem still continues. I am attaching the new vmware.log.

Thanks a lot for your help!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The same information I saw in the first log is also in the second log are you sure you're posting the correct log? The one from the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine and not from the Helper naos-1.0.vmwarevm?

Anyway at this point I think the next thing you need to try is to uninstall Fusion, reboot the system and then reinstall Fusion. Also delete the "/Users/$/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/" Folder and empty the Trash before uninstalling Fusion.

Note: Uninstalling Fusion does not delete the Virtual Machine's as they are stored in a different location.

To uninstall VMware Fusion...

Shutdown, not suspend, any running Virtual Machines.

Close VMware Fusion (VMware Fusion menu > Quit VMware Fusion).

Uninstall VMware Fusion (execute /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Uninstall VMware Fusion).

Delete the following File(s) and or Folder(s).

<Macintosh HD>/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion

Note: ~ is your Home Folder.

~/Library/Preferences/com.vmware.fusion.plist

~/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion

Reboot your System.

Install VMware Fusion

Note: There have been issues with 1.1.1 and OS X 10.5.2 so you may want to consider install 1.1.0 (62573) vs. 1.1.1.

0 Kudos
zwi
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I uninstalled Fusion 1.1.1 and removed all the bits and pieces mentioned. Then I rebooted. I downloaded 1.1 (62573) and installed that. After the installation, just to be on the safe side, I rebooted again. Then I tried booting the boot camp virtual machine. I got the same BSOD. I tried safe booting, again the last thing I see before the BSOD is the giveio.sys.

I am attaching the vmware.log from ~/Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/Virtual\ Machines/Boot\ Camp/%2Fdev%2Fdisk0/Boot\ Camp\ partition.vmwarevm/

Thanks,

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Okay the log file is looking okay and I'd venture to say that the first two you posted came from the Helper naos-1.0.vmwarevm although at this point I think that's a moot issue.

The fact that your getting to the same point each time makes me believe it's definitely pointing to something specific and you just need to isolate what that specific thing is...

Okay let try something else...

Boot natively into the Boot Camp partition then at the Windows Desktop...

Click Start > Run > type MSCONGIG then press Enter or click the OK button.

On the General tab of the System Configuration Utility applet select the Selective Startup radio button then uncheck the, Process SYSTEM.INI File, Process WIN.INI File, Load System Services and Load Startup Items check boxes. Click the OK button then click the Restart button.

Just let the system restart and it should actually restart back into OS X.

Now back at the OS X Desktop start VMware Fusion and try running the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine and lets see how far you get. If you happen to get to the Windows Desktop you should then be able to use MSCONFIG from within the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine to selectively start bringing things back and hopefully you will find what is the culprit that's causing the BSOD!

Note: I have a very explicit and specific manner in which I bring things back when using msconfig and part of it is system specific from system to system based on what software is installed and is relevant to the controls provided in msconfig and the remaining is based on knowledge of the entire boot process. I'm sorry but I have never documented it thoroughly and can not off you a step-by-step guide on this so use the best judgement you can and if you're not sure just don't bring back to much to fast as it makes it harder to narrow it down.

If you can not get to the Windows Desktop utilizing the System Configuration Utility applet then I'm not sure how much more I'm going to be able to offer you as a solution to this issue so best of luck!

0 Kudos
zwi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have turned everything off from the boot up process using msconfig. It did not help. However, I decided to go back to giveio.sys. I found out that this is installed by SpeedFan, a software I use to monitor harddrive and cpu temperature on Win XP. I uninstalled SpeedFan and removed giveio.sys. After that things started to move one step ahead. Now when I go to Fusion and reboot the boot camp VM in the safe mode, I see the BSOD is still the same, but the the last thing I see being loaded is no longer giveio.sys, but mup.sys.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
zwi
Contributor
Contributor

I see that this problem has also been reported here:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/79462?tstart=0&start=15

and here (as recently as 2 March 2008):

So I guess, I might actually be out of luck. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I have turned everything off from the boot up process using msconfig. It did not help. However, I decided to go back to giveio.sys. I found out that this is installed by SpeedFan, a software I use to monitor harddrive and cpu temperature on Win XP. I uninstalled SpeedFan and removed giveio.sys. After that things started to move one step ahead. Now when I go to Fusion and reboot the boot camp VM in the safe mode, I see the BSOD is still the same, but the the last thing I see being loaded is no longer giveio.sys, but mup.sys.

Any suggestions?

Well thats sucks!

Okay now it gets more complicated however at this point disabling additional Services may in the end be problematic when booting natively even if it will let you boot it virtually however until it's narrowed down that remains to be seen.

At this point it is going to require booting to the Recovery Console and Disable MUP.SYS and after a reboot you may end up getting hung at AGP440.SYS and end up disabling that too and so on until and if it can be narrowed down.

Below is a URL for how to disable AGP440.SYS (which typically loads directly after MUP.SYS) so you can use the directions in this KB Article to continue the trouble shooting process. Start with disabling MUP.SYS and reboot and see where it hangs.

Note: I would leave MSCONFIG set to have the aforementioned check boxes left unchecked and use the Windows XP CD or ISO Image of the CD to boot the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine to the Recovery Console and try this from there as it should be able to be done from the Virtual Machine vs having to natively boot the Boot Camp partition.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324764

Note: You may want to take a series of screenshots as you're doing this as information outputted during the disable process will be need when it's time to enable what has been disabled.

Good Luck!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I see that this problem has also been reported here: and here (as recently as 2 March 2008): So I guess, I might actually be out of luck. Smiley Sad

Both of those threads are nearly a year old and dealing with Beta Release of Fusion and Boot Camp so I wouldn't give up on it and the last post in the second thread while it was recently that means nothing at this point as well. That is until you exhaust the trouble shooting process or you just want to give up but I wouldn't give up based on what I read in those threads. I don't normally give up until there is just no other choice but that's a lot easier when one is being paid not to give up or it just becomes cost prohibitive.

If you have to I'd disable what can be disabled via the Recovery Console taking one step at a time and once narrowed down a work-a-round may be possible however until the offender is determined that will have to wait.

0 Kudos
Humlan
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem, but am currently trying to follow instructions sent to me after contacting VMWare's support. It involves editing a file and since that didn't work I've gone to the next step and is now installing a VMWare SCSI driver. I'll report back if it works.

0 Kudos
zwi
Contributor
Contributor

I disabled mup. I have no agp440.sys anywhere (and it is not listed under listsvc), so I did not do anything with it. Now I get stuck at NDIS.sys. I disabled that too, but it still hangs. Should I be disabling one-by-one everything that I see listed under listsvc?

As a side note, I am surprised to find that NDIS is being loaded in the safe mode. I am not trying "safe mode with networking", just plain "safe mode".

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I disabled mup. I have no agp440.sys anywhere (and it is not listed under listsvc), so I did not do anything with it. Now I get stuck at NDIS.sys. I disabled that too, but it still hangs. Should I be disabling one-by-one everything that I see listed under listsvc?

As painful as it sounds, and is, I'd disable one at at time until your able to boot. I also would have selected Enable Boot Logging one time after evoking MSCONFIG and boot back into Boot Camp partition so I would have a list of what was still going to load and in what order so I'd have a clear picture of what was left to troubleshoot but I forgot to mention that the other day, sorry.

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

Also as much as it pains me to say this, at some point you may just be beating a dead horse and all this will be for naught. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
GeertVB
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any progress on this issue? I am having exactly the same problem.

Thx,

Geert

Some additional notes:

I tried to redo everything from scratch. When I run or change the preferences of the bootcamp vm for the very first time, fusion starts preparing the bootcamp partition but fails to do so. I think this causes the bluescreen.

Fusion did work before on my machine. I originally started with parallels and switched to fusion after upgrading my MBP C2D to Leopard. Bad sectors causing BSOD forced me to buy a new drive. So I bought a 7200 rpm 160GB hitachi replacement. Bootcamp works just fine. Disk checks reveal no problems whatsoever.

0 Kudos
zwi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi GeertVB,

From the additional notes in your message, it is not clear whether you have already solved the problem or you are still having it even after getting a new HD.

I have disabled many of the services one-by-one using the recovery console. Nothing helped. Honestly I started to think that nothing might be wrong with the drivers themselves, but rather something is wrong in the registery or something like that. Aparently what is done after mup.sys crashes the system and unfortunately there is no ntbtlog.txt left, so the system must be crashing before this file is written, I guess.

I am wondering if any expert would be willing to have a look at my registry, or part of it?

Finally, I have read that sometimes this sort of hang-up is related to "ESCD corruption" in the BIOS. I guess the vmware bios is not prone to this sort of problem, is it?

0 Kudos
GeertVB
Contributor
Contributor

Hi zwi,

I did not solve the problem yet.

The problem started after I got a new HD and reinstalled everything from scratch.

Here is a more detailed timeline of the situation.

1. Initial situation: Tiger, bootcamp, parallels : OK

2. Clean install of leopard on Mac partition, didn't touch Win XP: Leopard, bootcamp, parallels : OK

3. Install Fusion: Leopard, bootcamp, parallels & fusion : OK

4. Bad sectors causing crashes in OS-X and BSODs under bootcamp.

5. New harddisk, reinstalled Leopard and Win XP: Leopard, bootcamp : OK

6. Installed fusion: Leopard, bootcamp : OK, fusion : BSOD

7. Tried to manually prepare partition: extract 2 drivers from sp2.cab and put them in registry: still BSOD

I am also under the impression that it has something to do with the registry but I am not an expert.

0 Kudos