VMware Communities
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Fusion doesn't update VMDK path in VMX after file browsing

I've been renaming my VMDKs as I attach different disks with various adapter types to my VM. On one change, the specified VMDK file was not found, so Fusion offered to let me browse for an alternative VMDK.

Upon choosing the right VMDK, the VMX file does not updated and I'm left with the same error, where Fusion is offering to let me browse for a VMDK again, and again.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The issue with renamed disks isn't specific to Fusion; unfortunately it's like that in Workstation on other platforms.

Thanks for bringing this up. In the meantime, try moving the disks to other directories instead of renaming them.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

>Thanks for bringing this up. In the meantime, try moving the disks to other directories instead of renaming them.

Thanks for the suggestion but that breaks my neatness of having all my VM files in one VM directory, e.g.

/Users/rcardona/Documents/vmware/VM1/...

/Users/rcardona/Documents/vmware/VM2/...[/code]

If I had snapshots where I could share base images from a common storage pool, then I would re-consider a using another directory. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

As another workaround, you can try creating new directories with hard (or soft) links to the appropriate disk files.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

That's a good idea.

Thanks

0 Kudos