VMware Communities
scotprince
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion crashes when trying to open windows 7 Ultimate iso file

Hi,

My VMWare Fusion keeps crashing when I try to create a new VM.  I am using Fusion 4.1.3 (730298) on a brand new Mac (64 bit)  with Lion.  I can navigate to the iso file but after selecting the iso file and clicking "open" Fusion will then just crash.  The iso file should be good because I can mount it and then run it on a pc.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
scotprince
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the log file from the crash.  I could really use some help here.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi scotprince, and welcome to the VMware Communities!

Thanks for posting the logfile.  I am investigating it presently, but it's getting late here so it might have to wait until tomorrow.  It looks like your CD/DVD contains OS installation options/versions we haven't encountered before, but that is just my preliminary analysis.  Would you mind specifying the source/origin of this .iso, and/or the volume label that appears if you mount the .iso image on the host?

Can you work around the problem by choosing "Create a custom virtual machine", selecting the guest OS type manually, then, once the VM is created and saved, attach the CD image and power it on?  You won't be able to use Easy Install if you do this, but it should allow you to get past the point where it's crashing and hence get things running at least...

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
scotprince
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I created and saved a "custom virtural machine" but how do I then go about attaching the CD image?  And source of the ISO file is MSDN.  I am new to the Mac world so I am a bit confused on the  volume label.  When I mount the ISO file and go to "Info" the Label is "x".  I hope that helps and thank you for you help!

Cheers

0 Kudos
scotprince
Contributor
Contributor

I figured out how to attach the ISO file to the VM's cd drive.  But when I go to start the VM I get a message stating that the OS was not found :smileycry:

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi scotprince,

When you Get Info on the source media, the disc's volume label is shown under Name & Extension, as well as in two places near the top of the Get Info panel.  It'll probably be a horrid bunch of letters and/or numbers like "GRMCENXVOL_EN_DVD".

In the VM's settings, under CD/DVD, there's an Enable CD/DVD Drive slide-switch that you have to set to "ON" to effectively "put the disc into the drive".  Is that ON?  If not, try switching it on and restarting the VM.  If it is already "ON" and it still doesn't work, we should look some more into the origin of the disc image that you are using to figure out whether it's actually valid source media for installation.

Hope this helps,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi scotprince,

I hope you are making progress getting your Windows VM up and running there.

I've analyzed the crash and believe I know what's happened, but I haven't yet been able to replicate the crash here.  If the image you downloaded from MSDN still has its original name (or if your browser's history will tell you its original name), that would be ultra helpful to know.  It should be something like en_windows_7_ultimate_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_677332.iso.  We have quite a stash of MSDN disc images here, but I haven't yet found one that triggers the problem you have reported, and I'd really like to be able to replicate the problem here in order to validate a fix.

Thanks in advance,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
scotprince
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I found the original ISO file that I had downloaded from MSDN and that works.  The other ISO I was attempting to use was corrupted.  Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi scotprince,

Ah, corrupted ISOs.  We seem to be encountering quite a few of those lately...

Fusion still definitely shouldn't crash even with a corrupted ISO, so I'll go ahead with fixing the issue I found during my investigation, even if we won't necessarily be able to duplicate the problem here.

Good to hear you're up and running after all this trouble.  Enjoy using Fusion, and feel free to post back here if you have any more questions!

--

Darius

0 Kudos
ncalderon
Contributor
Contributor

Hi There!

I have the same problem but I'm trying to run a different win 7 I think. I have tried what you said here but once I click the turn on button multiple failure messages appear starting with Unable to retrieve kernel zone sizes.

I am runing Snow Leopard and trying to install the iso I have downloaded from IT services in the university.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thank you!

0 Kudos