VMware Communities
Alpha_Doug
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion crashes when trying to open the "shared folder"

I have a MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz with 2 gbytes of memory. I am running Leopard vs. 10.5.1. I installed the trial version of Fusion 1.1, latest build about 2 weeks ago. I created a virtual machine with an activated Windows XP pro disk. Everything went fine, and the virtual machine worked just fine. I loaded a copy of Picasa and the trial of Lightroom, and they both ran fine. Then, just today, I tried to run the virtual machine. It came up fine and loaded the saved state. Then I tried to open the vmware "shared folder" to acces another installer. When I double clicked on the "shared folder" Fusion locked up totally. My cursor still moved, and I could access the Mac desktop, but no menu bar choices or window choices worked in Fusion, so I had to force quit it. When I tried to start it up again I got a message about not being able to access the virtual machine because something was already running. I restarted the computer, and tried again, and the same thing happened when trying to access the "shared folder". Help please!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Piggy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've been battling this problem for three days. Do a search on messages I've posted.

My conclusion is that there's an incompatibility between Fusion and Leopard. I've given up and gone back to Tiger. I need Fusion to work and accessing shared folders is critical.

One thing I've not tried is to configure the Mac OS folders as shared (on the Mac side) and access them as normal shared folders (as compared to enabling them in Fusion) on the Windows/Fusion side. I'd be interested in hearing if you have any success with this or otherwise find a solution.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Alpha_Doug
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure about an incompatibility between Fusion and Leopard. My son has been using fusion successfully with Leopard since it came out. I have isolated the problem now. I am able to navigate my folders just fine if I open "My Computer" and then use the "Folder" view ala Windows Explorer. Everything works just fine. It seems to be isolated to when I open My Computer using the alias that Fusion puts on the desktop for "vmware shared folders" and then try to access folders. If I don't do that, everything else works fine.

0 Kudos