VMware Communities
alternapop
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion crashed - had to reboot Mac, lost Dock and Hot Corner configs

I'm running VMWare Fusion Professional Version 11.5.7 (17130923)

In the past day I created a new Windows Server 2012 vm with 1 CPU and 2048 RAM.

I successfully created the basic VM with all Microsoft updates, and then created a full clone.

On the new full clone, I started going through the process of installing IIS, MySQL, and PHP.

Part way through the first attempt my Mac locked up enough that it was painfully slow. Many of the Finder windows lost their location and jumped to root of the computer (Shift+Command+C on a Mac). My Google Chrome browser started acting up and my tab that had my gmail open went white.

I rebooted and the vm was hosed. I tried to start it and got an error, "Pipe connection has been broken".

I deleted the vm and created a new full clone to try again. I gave it 3 CPUs.

At some point it more or less happened again though the exact goofiness I saw on my Mac itself was a little different. This time though I took a couple snapshots part way through and was able to reboot and use the VM without having to start over yet again.

The really strange thing is that after rebooting and signing into my Mac again, the Dock reset and my hot corners were lost. I have no idea what other settings were lost but that's all I've noticed so far.

My Mac laptop (MacBook Pro 13-inch, 2018) is not even 2 years old and I'm running a licensed version of Fusion. I installed the latest Fusion update for this version yesterday before starting this. This didn't happen last year when I had a slightly older version of 11 running (don't remember the exact version).

I did have my work's vpn open and signed in though that shouldn't matter.

Has anyone seen this behavior? It's pretty useless to use this if it's going to not only crash with basic use but hose my host environment too.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
alternapop
Contributor
Contributor

I updated to Fusion Player 12. The vm worked ok for about an hour or two. It started to get a little sluggish so I closed down vmware as a precaution. I opened it up an hour later and it worked ok again for about an hour. I went to shutdown the vm, saving the state, and about 1/3rd of the way through the shutdown my Mac locked up again and the screen went black. It then rebooted itself.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

This really does not ring a bell with me.
What I suggest is to run a hardware diagnostics from apple on your machine.
The things you are seeing have a "hardware malfunctioning" smell.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
alternapop
Contributor
Contributor

I appreciate the suggestion but a hardware diagnostic test found nothing wrong.

0 Kudos