VMware Communities
Rockdeveloper
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion, cannot install Windows 10 from usb: operating system not found

Hello,

I'm using WMvare Fusion 8.5.7.

I bought Windows 10 Home package with a USB stick. I have created the ISO image from the USB stick using disk utility on Mac.

When I try to create a new virtual machine, the "easy install" option is not available (I suppose meaning that the ISO image operating system is not recognized).

I countinue by manually chosing Windows 10 64 on the next page and trying to install. The message I receive is "operating system not found".

Any suggestion? Thanx

P.S.

Maybe the problem is that the ISO created is not Bootable? Is there a way to create a Bootable Windows ISO on Mac?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

This link here: Use Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp - Apple Support

says that you can simply download an iso file from Microsoft and then use your Windows 10 license key that came with the USB.

-

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Rockdeveloper
Contributor
Contributor

Thanx, I know about downloadable ISO from Microsoft. I got a retail usb Windows to avoid waiting hours downloading GB's on a slow connection:)

Anyway, I solved the issue by installing ImgBurn on another windows machine and created a bootable ISO.

"Easy Install" option in Fusion still doesn't not recognize the Windos OS but setting manual option it seems it's working. I'm now installing

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Ah yes, if your internet connection isn't the fastest then download a multi GB iso isn't much fun.

Glad to hear you got past the initial hurdle!

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos